60 gal CUBE (24") stock help - min maintenance... 1 discus? Severum?

dizcuz

Feeder Fish
Jul 25, 2015
Hi,

Great forum. I have a 60 gallon cube (24x24x24"). I am considering putting a large colorful cool looking fish in it. Not looking for a group on mbunas or a community tank. Here the kicker, I would like minimal water changes, like once a month. I plan to get a canister filtet that can do 150 gph its an eheim. I know discus need tons of water changes, but everything I read online assumrs that is for a whole group of them. What if I did 1 solo discus (adult) with maybe like 2 small german rams or a tiny fish or two for variation, since it is only 1 discus (and a full grosn adult) will i be able to hold off the water changes?

Any other ideas? 1 oscar? 1 severum (those look cool)? I would be ok if after a few years it out grew the tank, but the idea is to have a big fish in the tank. But, weekly water changes are too much. Every other week IS doable just would prefer to understock a tank so it could stretch out maintenanace.

Thank you for the advice. If you have any non monster fish you would suggest I would be open to it. Not ibterested in Mbunas.

Thank you

FMA4ME

Probation Member
Probation Member
Aug 6, 2013
CA
Welcome to Mfk :)
Discus need to be in groups of 6 or more. Generally lots of water changes are associated with growing out young Discus for maximum size and color. Once adult you are able to get by with fewer water changes but they still require pristine water. I think an Oscar or a Severum would ultimately need to be upgraded from your 60 cube. I would try something smaller, are you open to a planted tank? Those Rams or other dwarf cichlids would look great in a planted tank like that, Good luck :)

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Since it's a cube tank so I'm guessing your place it where it can be view all sides, right? I would do planted tank and some small species.
Oscar is out unless your upgrade to 36x36x36 cube with built in overflow then you can have it or a pair of discus. If you don't want to deal with planted tank and willing to upgrade then you would check out Male Jaguar Cichlid (Parachromis Managuensis), it's good for solo species.

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
i'd do a planted tank with a aquatic turtle and some schooling fish or the sorts.
a oscar is out of the question unless you only plan on growing out a baby there
and later moving it to a bigger tank.

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
You'll have to plant to hell out of it to keep nitrates under control of you only want to do once a month water changes.
Even with a solo fish and little plants (which is basically no plants) you can't go a whole month with no water changes. Nitrates will continue to rise unless you do massive water changes. Massive like 80%.

Water changes are the life blood of a healthy tank. If youre prepared to do that then your tank will suffer. One fish or 10 fish.

Reactions: Gill Blue

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
Any "big" fish should be out of the question. For two reasons. First, the tank is small. Sure it's a 60 gallons but 2x2... That's pretty small.
And two, the fish will definitely not do well only getting water changes once a month.

I have a 75 gallon with an 11" amph and I have to do at least 50% weekly. If I skip a water change the nitrates sky rocket.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store