600g DIY plywood build

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
I hope they all recocer fully, they all look so shy.
I think that they eventually will, and I agree they are all very scared and I almost have to sneak up to the tank to take pictures otherwise they retreat to the corners. As soon as they are all recovered I will be adding some more fish including a stingray which will almost certainly stress them out even more, but they should grow considerably by that time.

SHARK13

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2012
Excellent plywood build man! Very similar to what I plan on doing in the future. Definitely the best overall wood build I have seen. A lot of other builds on here use way too much wood for bracing, making the tanks overly bulky. No need to make the entire thing with 4x4's lol

Did you think about matching the sides with the background? I think that would have taken it to a whole new level! I really dig the carved background though. Looks great! What did you use to paint it?

Maybe you mentioned before in a previous post, I may have missed it, where did you get the corrugated greenhouse material?

Last edited:
Reactions: MASTERTANKER

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Excellent plywood build man! Very similar to what I plan on doing in the future. Definitely the best overall wood build I have seen. A lot of other builds on here use way too much wood for bracing, making the tanks overly bulky. No need to make the entire thing with 4x4's lol

Did you think about matching the sides with the background? I think that would have taken it to a whole new level! I really dig the carved background though. Looks great! What did you use to paint it?

Maybe you mentioned before in a previous post, I may have missed it, where did you get the corrugated greenhouse material?
Thanks, that means a lot! I did think about matching the sides but I was hoping that my plants will grow in thick to cover up the blue. I wanted a slightly different look and figured the rock on the sides might have been overkill. I used Drylok to color and paint the styrofoam mixing it with liquid concrete coloring. I got the corrugated greenhouse roofing from Lowes I believe, possibly Home Depot. Most large home improvement stores carry it, they sold it in 2*8 foot sections for about $20 each. I figure if it ever becomes to nasty I will just replace it as I only need about $60 worth. It's amazing what just putting a top on the tank does for humidity.

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
Well I finally added up how much money that building a plywood tank

Total cost of tank and everything needed for fish-$2200
Thank you for your advanced work. I'm planning to build a 1000 gallons plywood tank and the price will be around $4000, base on your 600 cost $2200.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Thank you for your advanced work. I'm planning to build a 1000 gallons plywood tank and the price will be around $4000, base on your 600 cost $2200.
Glad to help! I know that their are many others on the forums right now building much larger plywood tanks around 1000 gallons, you might check out their builds and see how much they are spending to get an even closer estimate.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Well, all remaining fish are still alive, and I am happy to say that all of the Altifrons are doing well and took to my pellet mix very quickly. While they don't seem to be super excited when I feed yet, I have seen each and every one eat at least a few pellets so they understand that it is food. My Bichir and Datnoid are a different story however, I cannot get them to eat pellets, worms, or shrimp. I am hoping they come around soon, but it has already been a week and they refuse to eat and are both still extremely terrified of the tank while my group of Altifrons seem to love their new place. image.jpeg

JohnTr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2015
Well I finally have the price of the tank by itself written up. Without counting everything else and just focusing on the tank, it came out to just under $800.
$160 for 4 sheets of plywood
$225 for 3 things of pond armor
$290 for the glass
$125 for screws, silicoln , glue and fiberglass. I will post more exact numbers after my build is completely finished, but yes I stayed under budget for my tank, and it cost me a little over $1.25 per gallon.
Where did you get your pond armor and glass? Thank you.

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
your build is amazing!! just one question how much of a gap did you leave for the silicon.
About a 2 inch gap so it had plenty of strength. You could do more or less depending on the size of your build.
Where did you get your pond armor and glass? Thank you.
I got the pond armor off of amazon and the glass from glasscages.com. I used 2 different colors of pond armor and the glass is 1/2 inch starphire.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store