600g DIY plywood build

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Looks awesome!! Did you stay under budget?
Well I finally have the price of the tank by itself written up. Without counting everything else and just focusing on the tank, it came out to just under $800.
$160 for 4 sheets of plywood
$225 for 3 things of pond armor
$290 for the glass
$125 for screws, silicoln , glue and fiberglass. I will post more exact numbers after my build is completely finished, but yes I stayed under budget for my tank, and it cost me a little over $1.25 per gallon.

Last edited:

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Is it filled?:) How many coats of pond armor did you get on?
It has water in it and so far no leaks! I will post pictures when I am confident it will not bust when I walk out of the room. It is taking much longer than I thought to fill it all the way, but I will get there. As for pond armor, I did it in 3 steps but applied 5 coats total. 1 coat of the entire white can as my base, letting it sit over night and sanding it flat. Then I used half of a blue can for the seams with fiberglass, when this was tacky I put the other half of the can on. After this sat for a day I sanded the seams very well and applied 2 more coats from the last can back to back. If you look at my pictures you should be able to see what it looked like after each can of epoxy.

Maximizer

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2014
United States
Sounds pretty solid. Ive been debating about building one but i don't know if i have a lot of confidence in one yet. Haven't really seen them run for a substantial amount of time.

Reactions: MASTERTANKER

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
NO LEAKS!! The tank is full up to my overflow and not a single drop has crept out. Tested for bowing and there is not any that I can notice with a level, and I will be double checking later after it has set. Actually pretty excited right now, I really think this thing is solid and I won't have any problems. Crossing my fingers that I don't wake up tomorrow with 600gallons on my floor, but my confidence is growing by the minute.
IMG_6251.JPG IMG_6253.JPG IMG_6254.JPG IMG_6255.JPG IMG_6257.JPG

DIFish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2015
St. Louis
Tank held fine over night, didn't find any leaks but I will be watching closely. I have 2 old 55 gallon tanks that I am going to use as a dual sump setup. I'm still trying to finalize my plans, but I will most likely end up using k1 kaldness as my bio media. I plan on starting the plumbing in a day or two once I know for certain there won't be any leaks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store