610g setup

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Yup, what Ragin said. I have a smaller freshwater tank, 260G, and have a closed loop circulation. Not the best pictures but to provide visual.

Zoom in on the first picture and you'll see one end with strainer that will suck water. At the other end with loc-lines are the outlets.

Other picture just shows pump in the bottom right and plumbing. Of course you can run the pipes or hose anyway you prefer...this is just an example.

I could have done a better job concealing in the tank, but it doesn't really bother me that it's exposed. HTH.

WP_20150713_001.jpg

WP_20150101_019.jpg

tomojsg

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2011
大韓民國 (서울) Korea
No closed loop isn't canisters. Closed loop means a pump under the tank with the inlet and outlet each connected to a bulkhead on the opposite side of the tank. So it creates a constant current in the display tank without putting a powerhead in there. Clean look, big boost to circulation, pretty simple, too. Just drill some holes, plumb a pump to it--maybe a strainer. There's no filtration at all, just teh pump moving water around. Handy if you ever want to drain the tank, too.

Google it, lots of pictures and discussions about it. Reef tank guys LOVE closed loop systems on their tanks. Cheaper than those fancy magnetic powerheads, I guess.
actually you can put a diy pvc pre filter on closed loops using larger pipes and union valves.
when i had my 600g i had it setup like that. strainers on the drilled hole plumped to a prefilter
connected to a union valve and on 2 ball valves on each end. prefilter is diy stuffed with
coarse sponge i can take out and easily hose down.

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
Update I have the Stand and canopy stained and varnished. Tank is still in the box trailer weighting on everything to be ready for it. So far I have purchased Reeflow Gold Super Dart and Reeflow Gold Hammerhead-Barracuda, 5 gallon pond Matrix 5 gallon Bio balls and an 8 pack filter socks, and a Coralife Turbo twist UV sterilizer.
Currently looking at a Drip system, I found a drain line while building the room for the tank that we didn’t know was there. What kind of filter do I need is a RO required. How do is set the rate a 20GPD with the option to increase to 40GPD as my bioload increases? Is there any piece I could place on the water line coming into the tank that would turn the water off in a power outage to prevent the sump from overflowing, I have to place a pump on a float switch that will pump the discharge water out because I have no way to run it on gravity.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
You don't need RO system, you probably don't even want RO for SA/CA cichlids. RO is required for saltwater tanks. All I filter on my drip system is chlorine/chloramine. Call thefilterguys.biz, they'll give you the part number for a "3 stage chlorine/chloramine activated carbon block filter". They'll ask you how much you want to drip--40 Gallon per day, or 60 gallon per day. It's a little plastic cylinder that goes inline in the filter output hose, it regulates the rate that water is dripped into the sump. I drip 40 GPD on a 540 gallon tank.

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
I worked on setting the tank up and plumbing all week. Water tested it last night by just filling up the overflows and it is leaking between the bulkheads and pvc pipe.the pvc didn't really seem like it was the right size but I had 2 inch pipe and a 2 inch bulkhead but when test fitting everything if you did hold the pipe up in the hole it would fall out but the next size up in pipe wouldn't work

20150922_071408.jpg

20150921_210526.jpg

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I've MANY times been frustrated by pluming fittings/sizes. There always seems to be some kinda new fitting type/size that I didn't know about, or this type of pipe doesn't work with that type of fitting....anyways.

When I was plumbing mine up, I found that "DWV" pipe wouldn't seal right in "schedule 40" fittings. Apparently there's a difference. And then there's "DWV Sch. 40". All ridiculous.

So, I'd say be sure you're using high quality schedule 40 bulkheads (glass-holes.com), and NOT DWV pipe from the local big box store. Use the real deal schedule 40 PVC pipe.

Maybe that's the problem.

alc11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2013
Tn
thinks for the reponse. I have ordered new bulkheads from marine depo I got some for my sump form them and they fit with the PVC pipe im using well so ill try again next weekend get it set up. I work every other weekend

mustang93svt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
ohio
Glasscages drills the bulkhead holes for heavy duty schedule 80 bulkheads, schedule 40 will not fit. Hope this helps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store