62 litre aquascaped/planting

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
wish I could! :D My phone camera has been broken for some weeks, hopefully fix soon though so I can get some new pics up
Well hurry up about it! Patience isn't exactly one of my strong points, ya know? :p

Reactions: convict360

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
wish I could! :D My phone camera has been broken for some weeks, hopefully fix soon though so I can get some new pics up; basically in the recent few weeks, I've been overrun with staghorn algae and BBA.

While this is extremely frustrating, I've been attempting to solve the problem so I've been changing more water, upping co2 and added a large hob to replace the sponge filter; since it was suggested elsewhere that the sponge was gassing off all my Co2. Even though my dropchecker goes lime green, I figured i'd try the change.

Ideally it'll be back to normal for when I can get pics, i really hate algae just now :p
The dreaded Algae outbreak... I redone my tank a few weeks ago coz i couldnt be the algae in my tank and now waiting for everything to settle in again...

So good luck withyour algae problem, hopefully you sort it out soon...

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
The dreaded Algae outbreak... I redone my tank a few weeks ago coz i couldnt be the algae in my tank and now waiting for everything to settle in again...

So good luck withyour algae problem, hopefully you sort it out soon...
I'm actually considering downsizing again, to something I can do water changes on easily and effectively; maybe the dennerle 50l scapers tank I think.

Problem with this current tank is that the length creates issues with flow, need a lot for the full length; but can't be too powerful or it uproots plants. Even with wavemakers providing 40x circulation I'm still having problems with dispersion, so I'm going to have to think on it.

Don't have access to python to change water upstairs, so its relentless bucketing; which gets tiring mentally and physically.

Will see what happens though, I'm due back home in a few days; if the algae is still terrible, I'll maybe draw up the plans to break it down.

Need a tank with cover anyway, my gf is bringing cats with her when she moves in haha

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ i hear ya... If you got cats then covers are a must to be safe...

But yeah, i think since i went back to my old method of dosing routine of ferts, my tank has been more easy to control...

EI dosing i find = way too much ferts, which in turn = algae...

Rather only dose when necessary then always trying to strike the perfect balance as the tank ages...

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
I'm actually considering downsizing again, to something I can do water changes on easily and effectively; maybe the dennerle 50l scapers tank I think.
What happened here? Did you downsize or keep the original? Or is it still in contemplation? As I said, patience isn't a strong point of mine... :D

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
What happened here? Did you downsize or keep the original? Or is it still in contemplation? As I said, patience isn't a strong point of mine... :D
It's gone lol, I couldn't solve the flow problem; so I took the easy route and replaced with something easier :p

Haven't set up the new tank yet, I need to get some new furniture first; so you're gonna have to be more patient lol.

Fortunately, I will be scaping my 90 gallon corner with discus; which will happen in the next few weeks; so i can update you with that one! :D

Are you into the planted side of fishkeeping? :)

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
Are you into the planted side of fishkeeping? :)
I have plants in some of my tanks but they're not what I'd consider planted tanks. The plants are the few surviving trial plants I brought to see if the goldfish ate, thankfully they all do pretty well in my bettas tank, although I'm not sure how, I'm doing water changes every day on the darn thing, and haven't replaced the bulbs in a while.

However, once we finally get off our lazy butts and build a stand for my freebie, I plan to swap my little sister my bettas current 120ltr tank for her little 80ltr one and put my very, very old betta in it. Once he passes I'm hoping to turn it into a planted tank and go the full mile with it, but hopefully (for poor Bruce's sake) that won't be for a while, giving me plenty of time for studying so I can at least have some idea about what I'm doing before wasting heaps of money. :D

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I have plants in some of my tanks but they're not what I'd consider planted tanks. The plants are the few surviving trial plants I brought to see if the goldfish ate, thankfully they all do pretty well in my bettas tank, although I'm not sure how, I'm doing water changes every day on the darn thing, and haven't replaced the bulbs in a while.

However, once we finally get off our lazy butts and build a stand for my freebie, I plan to swap my little sister my bettas current 120ltr tank for her little 80ltr one and put my very, very old betta in it. Once he passes I'm hoping to turn it into a planted tank and go the full mile with it, but hopefully (for poor Bruce's sake) that won't be for a while, giving me plenty of time for studying so I can at least have some idea about what I'm doing before wasting heaps of money. :D
What age is Bruce?

You might also consider heavily planting it with him in it, I had a Betta a while back that loved getting lost in among the vegetation, I'd see him flare at some plants every once in a while lol

Kittiee Katt

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
My House!
What age is Bruce?

You might also consider heavily planting it with him in it, I had a Betta a while back that loved getting lost in among the vegetation, I'd see him flare at some plants every once in a while lol
We've had Bruce for over 3 years (got him in Feb 2013 or thereabouts) and he was fully grown when we got him so I don't actually know his age, but just watching him you can see that he's old, he's getting lazy, and slowly but surely his colours are fading.. :(

I was going to plant it out with him in there, but I can't exactly go "the full mile" because from what I've read most plants like a strong current and as it is we've had to bodge up the filter in his 120ltr because in his old age, he doesn't like fighting with the current and on top of that I don't want to blow him all over the tank. So I'll just wait, learn, and plan for the time being. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store