675g tank Cichlid & Panaque tank

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
Hi

As i mentioned in my other thread, i needed a temporary setup to upgrade my 220g tank till i have the place ready for the big one. So, i went to order a 500g tank to upgrade the living quarters of my cichlids and plecos. When i told a fish store i know and are friends with about what i wanted, he offered me his old display tank that he can't setup at the new location(he moved his shop this summer), a 3x1x0.93m 675g tank with a 220g sump! He gave me a great deal on it too! The only problem was that the tank was spoken for by another person earlier and that i couldn't fit it at my house. The other person stumbled on the difficulties of moving it, so i searched for house, moved to the area i wanted to move anyway, and after a good deal of searching, found a crane with experience moving big tanks through tight spots(it can only get in from a front window, stand and aquarium separately). I have arranged to have it brought in this Saturday

Here are a few photos of the tank

Sump

And the place its getting through. I will set it up along the wall next to the window

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Is the tank acrylic or glass? If it's acrylic and Panaques don't scratch the glass too bad, I'm getting a bunch of Panaques for mine, then. Let me know how it goes.

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
It's a glass tank, I would be afraid to risk acrylic with Panaque, they chew everything plastic. I can see their teeth marks on equipment.

I think acrylic should remain viewable but I don't think it will be spared marking

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
That's what I've heard, but I was hoping you'd tell me that's a myth. :) I have a big acrylic tank, and the only thing I don't like about it is I can't keep Panaque in it.

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
The only positive I know and I can tell you is that I have had my acrylic overflow for 9 years now with my big Panaque and surpizinglyI can't find any single mark on it. I don't know why but I checked in it today due to your post and I was amazed that I couldn't find teeth marks. My Tunze pumps are teeth marked on the other hand

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Man, I can't wait to see the fish in there.

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
Wow, very cool tank and I bet quite an adventure getting it in, that window looks like a pretty tight squeeze!

Kostas G

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2015
Athens, Greece
www.vivapharm.gr
I can't wait to get it all setup and ready too :)

The crane got it in with just 10cm clearance on either side. Very well executed.

I sanded the metal base down and removed the rust which was thick in some parts. I applied minium, varnished the underside of the wood the aquarium sits on to protect from moisture and will continue with another coat of varnish on the wood and minium on the metal before painting the stand with car paint.

And then i need to clean the tank inside, find a plastic mesh to put above the bottom glass, dress it with slate and then add the rockwork to mimic Rio Araguaia. This tank will be setup as a breeding tank for Panaque L27 'Araguaia', Baryancistrus L81, Leporacanthicus L240 "Special", Trachelyoprterus insignis and Platydoras costatus. The Panaque are my favourite and the cichlids are companion fish for making the catfish feel at ease and for watching/interacting with as they are favourites as well. Pretty much all of these fish, especially the larger cichlids, larger plecos and catfish, are very owner responsive and pet :)

Here is a photo from yesterday with a bit better lighting

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store