75 gal stocking help please

Justmick

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2016
sacramento ca
Hi all,
I am setting up a new tank... This is my first attempt at fish keeping so I need a little advice on how best to stock it correctly..
I have a 75 gal tank that I have just finished cycling and am now getting ready to put fish in.( cycled with fish.. Still alive and from what I can see still healthy☺)
I am going to put peacocks in it but have not decided if I am doing an all male or a male\female tank. I also need help with the stocking rate(how many at a time should I add). Any thoughts or suggestions 20160719_185037.jpg

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
Generally people try to get all male peacocks for their colors and the females color can be rather bland but if you wanted to do a mixed lot it's completely up to you. What are your intentions with the tank? Is your goal to breed fish or are you just looking to keep the best looking fish you can in your display? I'd add 3 or 4 peacocks in the tank at a time and gradually build up the numbers. With a newly established tank you can upset the balance of beneficial bacteria to fish easily so adding a little at a time will guarantee everything runs smoothly

Justmick

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2016
sacramento ca
Generally people try to get all male peacocks for their colors and the females color can be rather bland but if you wanted to do a mixed lot it's completely up to you. What are your intentions with the tank? Is your goal to breed fish or are you just looking to keep the best looking fish you can in your display? I'd add 3 or 4 peacocks in the tank at a time and gradually build up the numbers. With a newly established tank you can upset the balance of beneficial bacteria to fish easily so adding a little at a time will guarantee everything runs smoothly
I like to watch the fish as they move around and interact with each other. I am fasinated about the breeding habits but like I said in my first post ... I am new to the fish world so I am not sure if I should even try a male\female tank.. I have read it can get crazy trying to keep the peace.

fishfanatic80

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2011
Long island
My friend had a 75 gallon bow front mixed peacock tank and everyone kept the peace. It looks like you have more then enough hiding places for them

Justmick

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2016
sacramento ca
My friend had a 75 gallon bow front mixed peacock tank and everyone kept the peace. It looks like you have more then enough hiding places for them
So would I stock it the same if I was doing a male female tank v. a all male tank. And at what point do I stop adding ... Some say over stock and others don't.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
If going all male, try to end up with 15 fish the mature around 6-7". No look alikes. You'll probably end up having to add a few smaller haps to fill out the numbers. If you want to breed only have one peacock species per tank to eliminate the risk of cross breeding, most peacock females are brown or silver and hard to tell apart once mixed.

Justmick

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2016
sacramento ca
If going all male, try to end up with 15 fish the mature around 6-7". No look alikes. You'll probably end up having to add a few smaller haps to fill out the numbers. If you want to breed only have one peacock species per tank to eliminate the risk of cross breeding, most peacock females are brown or silver and hard to tell apart once mixed.
Would I be able to put in 4 males with 3 females each... Or would that be to many males for this tank

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
If breeding 4 groups of 1m/4f would work in a 75. You could do one peacock species, 2 different groups of haps and a groups of yellow labs

Justmick

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2016
sacramento ca
If breeding 4 groups of 1m/4f would work in a 75. You could do one peacock species, 2 different groups of haps and a groups of yellow labs
I think one of the fishes in the tank is a yellow lab... Not sure as I am still learning the different ones and that is scetchy at best.. What do you think
20160720_181156.jpg 20160720_181156.jpg

20160719_185232.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store