75 Gallon HRP tank

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
I was curious on everyone's thoughts on our current 75 gallon tank (used to be a big crypto and oscar community with 4 cryptos and a 9" oscar - worked beautifully for 3 years, sold a few fish)...

Tank stock:
1 HRP male (4 years old) 3"
1 Spotted raphael (6 years old) 3.5"
1 Sun catfish (4")
6 Red hooks (maybe 3" across each?)
7 Tiger barbs (2.5" each)

Filtration: AC110 x2

I was curious if people thought we should or could add another cichlid (ie sajica, HRP female, etc), we wanted to add more tiger barbs to the school (but finding large tiger barbs in our area has proved tough, because if they're too small, the sun cat will make lunch out of them). As of now I don't intend to add another cichlid to the mix but I was curious.

Side shot of tank was from today, FTS was from October-ish right after the red hooks were purchased (and the pink plants were for the fiance)

75 gallon 2-8-16.JPG

75g full shot.JPG

asteele.19

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2014
Michigan, United States
I love a big school of Tiger barbs, I don't know if it would be possible for you, but you could always setup another tank and grow out another 6 or so tiger barbs until they are big enough to survive.

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
I love a big school of Tiger barbs, I don't know if it would be possible for you, but you could always setup another tank and grow out another 6 or so tiger barbs until they are big enough to survive.
Unfortunately, our apartment is "cozy" and we need every square foot we can get, so the 75 is all we have room for as of now sadly.

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
I like that driftwood, water looks nice and clear too
Thanks Tyler, bought the driftwood about 4 years ago at my LFS and have determined that as long as I run a 75, it has to remain the centerpiece. And they get 60-70% water changes every 5-7 days because the red hooks are PIGS

On a side note, going to the LFS to look at the following for the tank:

7 More tiger barbs
OR
7 Columbian tetras (preferably large)
OR
7 Buenos Aires Tetras (MUST be full grown due to body shape)
OR
7 Diamond tetras (again, prefer large)

Darn you sun catfish (aka Steve), had he not been in this tank, smaller fish would've been possible

BellycrawlerJaws

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2010
Long Island, New York
We wound up getting 3 tiger barbs, 3 green tiger barbs, and 3 black ruby barbs (all of which are hanging out with our existing tiger barbs)... Needless to say we currently have a SWARM of barbs (16 in all)!

Reactions: Tyler_Wentworth_150
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store