75 gallon shell dweller tank setup

mikalski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2016
Planning a tank of shell dwellers as well as some suitable tank mates (not fully decided however they will be tanganyika natives). Filtration is a Eheim 350 classic canister with a homemade in-line heater. Substrate is pfs and rock setup consisting of some personally collected granites and pumice.

Any advice as far as tank mates to consider and experience using pfs will be greatly appreciated.

I am located in northern West Virginia and will be sourcing cichlids online and from House of Tropicals located in Glen Burnie, MD.

Will post pics and updates as soon as possible.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Is this a standard 75G rectangle tank?

Which shellies are you considering?

mikalski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2016
It is a standard 75G tank and unfortunately it has been spooking me over the last two days as I have filled it with water, drained all of the water out, and now have just finished refilling it.

Perhaps someone has had similar experiences and can help...

The first time I filled the tank I noticed it was leaning forward due to the stand sitting on the tack strip of the carpet (thin Berber on top of a pad).

I placed the stand on 2X4s running the long way and leveled the stand making sure all was perfect. Now that the tank is full again it seems like it is too easy to rock the aquarium. Do yall think the carpet will compress over time making the tank more stable? Or am I worrying over nothing?

D deeda - I don't have any specific that I am planning as I will start off by going to the LFS after my tank is ready and most likely buy anything they have. Maybe 4-5 of three varieties? If I am not satisfied with the LFS I will be looking online.

Last edited:

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I would drain the tank again, remove the 2x4's and just move the tank away from the wall so it doesn't rest on the carpet tack strip, that's what I did with my tanks.

Also, if you should ever decide to add a power filter that hangs on the back of the tank (HOB), you will need approx. 3" to 4" to accommodate that type filter or if using a canister filter, a bit less room is required to install/remove the hoses.

I don't personally recommend adding multiple species of Shellies in a tank because they mostly use the bottom of the tank though a 48" tank may be workable.

What type or brand of stand are you using, that is, wood, metal, DIY or store bought?

mikalski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2016
I would drain the tank again, remove the 2x4's and just move the tank away from the wall so it doesn't rest on the carpet tack strip, that's what I did with my tanks.

Also, if you should ever decide to add a power filter that hangs on the back of the tank (HOB), you will need approx. 3" to 4" to accommodate that type filter or if using a canister filter, a bit less room is required to install/remove the hoses.

I don't personally recommend adding multiple species of Shellies in a tank because they mostly use the bottom of the tank though a 48" tank may be workable.

What type or brand of stand are you using, that is, wood, metal, DIY or store bought?
The stand is pulled forward off the tack strip. The purpose of the 2x4s was to make leveling the tank easier as the floor is uneven as well.

I bought the stand and tank used so I am not sure of the brand but it is a metal stand with legs instead of a flat bottom which I believe to be the source of my problems.

As it sits now everything is perfectly level and since last night I think the carpet did settle making the tank less wobbly.

Thanks.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
i would say stick with one species. i would LOVE to see a big tank fulla shellies

Reactions: mikalski

mikalski

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2016
Sorry for taking so long to update! I left the country for a week before I could finish setting up the tank- the aforementioned tank leveling issues have been resolved.

The pool filter sand was easy to rinse and I think it looks great too.

As far as fish I have 2 brichardis , which I reluctantly took from a friend who was having issues with aggression, six julidochromis, and no shellies. I will however be picking up two calvus cichlids, 6 ocellatus, and 6 cyprichromis this weekend.

I also attached a pic of what I have so far.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Great stuff. Thanks for update :)

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Don't forget to get shells for the shellies!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store