770 Gallon Monster Setup

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
Awesome , Al. I love the clowns. How big are they? And what's the blue Herichthys? Carpintis?

And what's the feeding ring floating on top? I need that--pellets wash over the weir--I hate that. I'd been thinking about putting a floating barrier of some type in front of the weir, so pellets wouldn't get sucked up, but then trash wouldn't get sucked in, either and we don't want that.

I never thought about just making a small ring or two like you have--that's a MUCH better idea. :)

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
Awesome , Al. I love the clowns. How big are they? And what's the blue Herichthys? Carpintis?

And what's the feeding ring floating on top? I need that--pellets wash over the weir--I hate that. I'd been thinking about putting a floating barrier of some type in front of the weir, so pellets wouldn't get sucked up, but then trash wouldn't get sucked in, either and we don't want that.

I never thought about just making a small ring or two like you have--that's a MUCH better idea. :)
Thanks man. I think the biggest loach might be 9 or 10", but that's just eyeballing it. The Herichthys was labeled just a generic Green Texas cichlid, but she's turned out awesome. Not sure what variety she is.

I couldn't stand watching pellets get sucked into the overflows- the feeding rings definitely help with that. The inner ring on mine is made out of clear vinyl tubing, which is a bit of an eyesore. The outer ring (which I added after realizing the single ring wasn't doing a good enough job keeping the pellets out) is made out of black poly tubing. If I were to do it over, I would have made it entirely out of black poly tubing (more discreet). But if I skip a day of feeding, the pellets (and water) end up everywhere like in the video.

awesome video and amazing tank! love the stock.

what do you do for algae control on the front?
I use a Magnavore M10 magnetic algae scraper. I lucked out and found a used one for $50. I couldn't believe it when I saw what new ones go for ($400!). I guess large magnets are expensive.

Glad you enjoyed the video. :)

OTp1144

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2013
Swimmin' with the fishes

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
@ heretix, that's weird. Wonder if car guys actually use them for something or if it's just listed there incorrectly.

I will say that they are so powerful that they are actually pretty dangerous. The guy I bought it from lost a chunk of flesh from his finger when the magnets clamped down on him. He tried sliding his hand out as they snapped together onto the tip of his finger and it really messed him up. He had to use a vise and a screw driver to pry it off his hand.

I was careless once (a few months ago) and I had to do the same, but it clamped down on a larger part of my hand so I didn't lose any blood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store