"8 Clown Loach With Possible Mouth Issue?

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
loaches aren't easy to treat bro...I've last a few over the years for no good obvious reasons...

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
There are zero signs of ich. No whites spots and not a single fish flashing.

In regards to the temp change with water changes, I use a highly accurate cooking thermometer that takes the temp within 5 seconds. I check the temp of the tank then adjust the temp of the tap to that before shutting the valve on the python to send it to the tank. As for the PH, mine is already high out of the tap and stays high in the tank because I'm doing frequent small water changes

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Just keeping himself isolated in one corner

I'm calling around to LFS's now to try to find prazipro

Loach 11.jpg

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
Alright, Prazipro in hand. Do I dose just as bottle says or are there any precautions to take for CL's?

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
sorry trying to scan this to catch up and my computer is acting up. Was he acting sick before (not the breathing issue) treatment or did he become off once treatment started? He is a big loach so is he a long term captive and you got him with the heavy breathing? He might have had previous gill injury from ich or ammonia etc that has scared his gills and therefore do not perform as well as others. Some ich medications will drive oxygen out of the water and make i harder on him. I had a catfish a while back that the tank crashed and he got bad ammonia burn to the gills. He recovered but always breathed heavily after that

USMCSS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 3, 2005
Valhalla
RD. RD. and I were actually discussing the possibility of it being a deformity. The loach was rescued from a bad situation about 2 months ago where he was housed with several large aggressive fish and an owner who knew nothing about what he was doing. He was in a 125 with 2 large oscars, a 16" pleco, a large jaguar, large kissing gourami, and 14" bichir and the only filtration on the tank was a fluval 405 that had only one media tray full of the ceramic pieces. They were also all being fed pond fish food and nothing else. He's lucky to even be alive now. Every since rescuing him he's breathed rapidly and had the open mouth so it's really hard to say what the cause is.

Currently he is the most active and feeds VERY good. Always the first to come out of hiding come feeding time and the last to call the frenzy quits. He regularly forages. Even doing it as I type this. Very confusing situation

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store