900 gallon possibility - stock list?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Hello, I am planning my build for my old school. Many people have thought this wasn't a real thing, well here's the link to the thread - we have a 60 gallon reef (well reef-to-be) currently and we might be getting a 39 gallon as well shortly. This is our "trial run" until we go much bigger.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-budget-should-i-be-looking-at.666210/page-13

I am exploring the possibility of a very large Amazon biotope tank, housing some assorted fish. Do you think this stock list would work in a 10x4x3 tank with pretty heavy filtration?
-3 black rays (either BD or henlei)
-2 castexi rays
-2 orbignyi rays (planning on these rare rays, beautiful species that appear to be somewhat obtainable, if we decide on a ray tank we will breed these and sell them on the side)
-7 dwarf plecos (thinking queen arabesque) to keep algae somewhat under control
-Black arowana
-Pair of pike cichlids (zebrinas are beyond my favorite but super expensive)
-6 red head tapajos geophagus
-6 rotkiel severums
-2 uaru cichlids
-8 blue hook silver dollars
-12 thin bar red hook silver dollars
-16 spotted silver dollars

What do you think about the list? Obviously it's an expensive fish collection, but I plan to attempt to breed some of them to at least make some of the money back at some point (although that's not the main goal in breeding the fish). I think a biotope tank would be the best for this build as it would be more educational than a bunch of random fish thrown into a tank. Some species may be changed around, but in general do you think the stock list would work?

Also I will post updates on the plans for the reef tomorrow. There are no real updates so far, except we picked up a skimmer for free on craigslist.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Zebrina have come down in price and there are quite a few nice species around. Cincta, Tapajos, Atabapo 1, Lenticulata. I'm a big fan of pikes.

I think sticking to one species of silver dollars would look better than mixing three. And in that size tank, I'd do 24 silver dollars instead of 36 and use up that extra bio by taking the group of geos up to 8. Maybe cut back to two pairs of severums once they pair off. And maybe throw in a pair of hoplarchus or hyselecara.

What you have planned is a dream tank. I'm very jealous!

Good luck!

Reactions: Oompa Loompa

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I'm looking forward to seeing this. Zebrina have come down in price and there are quite a few nice species around. Cincta, Tapajos, Atabapo 1, Lenticulata. I'm a big fan of pikes.

I think sticking to one species of silver dollars would look better than mixing three. And in that size tank, I'd do 24 silver dollars instead of 36 and use up that extra bio by taking the group of geos up to 8. Maybe cut back to two pairs of severums once they pair off. And maybe throw in a pair of hoplarchus or hyselecara.

Good luck!
Thanks! Wow, it looks like they are a bit cheaper now. $470 for a show-sized pike. Not a huge fan of cinctas myself, but I love lenticulatas and the red pikes. Think there's a chance of multiple pike pairs in this tank? It's a huge tank, but I don't know about big enough for so many pikes.

Good call on the silver dollars, not sure what species to choose though - all three of them look great! I'll keep looking at some pics of them and come to a decision at some point. But yeah I have to agree, three species does sound like it would look... odd.

I was actually planning on a pair of true parrots, thought it might be too many fish though. I think I will reconsider them though, they are beautiful fish.

A large amazon biotope has been a dream of mine for a while, I hope they like the idea of this tank because it would be amazing to build.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Pike pairs can be very territorial. I'd stick with a pair. Lenticulata and very aggressive and probably would be a bad idea compared to the others.

You can skip th true parrots and the red head geos and instead, get a group of larger eartheaters like satonoperca daemon or Geophagus Abalios.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Pike pairs can be very territorial. I'd stick with a pair. Lenticulata and very aggressive and probably would be a bad idea compared to the others.

You can skip the true parrots and the red head geos and instead, get a group of larger eartheaters like satonoperca daemon or Geophagus Abalios.
In that case I think I'd go with the pair of zebrinas.

I don't know if I want to replace them or not. I think the true parrots would be a nice idea to keep, but I don't know if I want to keep the red heads or not - they're some awesome looking geo's.

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Red heads are nice. But the larger geos and satonoperca are awesome as well.

Reactions: JK47

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Red heads are nice. But the larger geos and satonoperca are awesome as well.
Yeah, they are definitely some nice looking fish. The only ones I have seen so far that I would consider is Satanoperca daemon, but so far I think I would go with the red head tapajos.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn

Good luck!
Oh you'll see it alright, in your imagination.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/what-kind-of-budget-should-i-be-looking-at.666210/

Reactions: M@T!@$ and mrrobxc

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
Did you pay attention and open the link I posted? We have gotten a tank, might be getting another within the next week or so, and will likely be getting at least one more very large tank by the summertime.
Yeah I did. The tank isn't anything like the tank you spent 100 posts discussing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store