A visual guide to sexing new world cichlids

Tommy247

Feeder Fish
Mar 16, 2024
One of the most obvious determiners on many is a dark area, or colorful patch in the dorsal fin. example the very obvious Cryptoheros (Archocentrus)nanoluteus
first the female dark, and colorful patch in the dorsal

male no patch

Next Guianacara geayi,note how in the female (directly below)the mid body blotch only slightly bleeds into the dorsal fin, but is visible.

now the male directly below

In Cuban cichlids Nandopsis tetracanthus, the nearly solid blotch covers most of the anterior area of the dorsal in females

male below

Much the same in Nandopsis haitiensus
female lower in the pic

in the Herichthys carpintus complex it can be a little less obvious when not spawning,
the female is most clear in the forground

male below, note the head profile difference between the 2.

Vieja breidhori below, 1st the female

below the male

and beani , beside the dorsal patch, the female is much more topedo shaped

male beani

Gymnogeophagus gymnogenys
here is an exception, females (in the foreground) below

male directly below

Please chime in and maybe we can get a complete pictorial list of all new worlds between us.
I think my fish are rainbow cichlids and I'm not sure how to sex them or if they are even rainbow cichlids but I have 3 of them and 2 are very aggressive to all the fish in the tank to the point that the 3rd cichlid which is a lot smaller than the other 2 goes into hiding for weeks and weeks at a time

IMG-20240317-WA0011.jpg

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I think my fish are rainbow cichlids and I'm not sure how to sex them or if they are even rainbow cichlids but I have 3 of them and 2 are very aggressive to all the fish in the tank to the point that the 3rd cichlid which is a lot smaller than the other 2 goes into hiding for weeks and weeks at a time

View attachment 1537826
Welcome aboard
The fish in your pic is a firemouth cichlid.

Reactions: Tommy247

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks so I have 3 firemouth cichlids who are not happy unless they are trying to kill eachother and everyone else
Do you know what sex it is?
Tbh I don't know. There is only a subtle difference between the two.

Tommy247

Feeder Fish
Mar 16, 2024
Hi there can I ask you about my firemouth cichlid.
Fry have appeared from nowhere any advice on what is the best thing to do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store