Accidentally got into Africans now need some advice.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Okay, so I managed to convince the misses to let me set up a tank for a small predator which resulted in us setting up my old 80g for a 5-6 inch fish! So I was in the market for some dithers and as our water here is so hard it needs to be chewed I went with African cichlids. So we have 3 Penadri, 3 yellow laps, 3 Kyoga flamebacks and a peacock. The tank is 5ft L, 2ft H and 1.5 ft W with a sand base and lots of Rocks spread across the bottom and a large bogwood stump for my predator.
Basically now I have Mbuna I would like to know how best to aquascape the tank further for them and do I need more fish? All I know about mbuna is that you need lots of them! The tank has a massive external filter set up and running and they are being feed rift lake cichlid pellets. Thanks

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
They will reproduce like rabbit's. Decide how many you want.
Break the tank into 1/3 with line of sight rocks. The higher up the better.
Lots of caves, and read up on each variety. Agression can vary.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Really!? They bred even in mixed tanks? Okay so I will get down the garden centre and get a load a large flat rocks to create a 'rock wall' for vertical cover And caves etc. Should break up the sight lines fairly well. Stocking wise all the ones I have a fairly mild manored so I was going to stick with that theme and stock more flame backs and peacocks (ideally blood dragon peacocks). What sort of stock density should I be Looking at 20 fish seems about right? Finally what can I do to really make their colours pop? Any secrets? Thanks

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
You want 1m:4f of each species. Except the peacock.

One species of peacock/tank since they crossbreed. And the peacocks may not be happy with aggressive mbuna like pindani (socolofi).

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Cool thanks, I guess M/F can be distinguished by the make being colourful and the female being more muted? If so I have 2 male and 1 female flame backs.. okay need more ladies! The pindari and the labs I cannot tell yet. How many fish should one aiming for a full tank?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
20 should be good, apart from that im not sure how to help.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Cool thanks, I guess M/F can be distinguished by the make being colourful and the female being more muted? If so I have 2 male and 1 female flame backs.. okay need more ladies! The pindari and the labs I cannot tell yet. How many fish should one aiming for a full tank?

Check our forum, and youtube KG Tropicals.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
As advised this will be milliputed together tomorrow in the tank.... I am not totally happy with the height but it's something I can build on later when cash flow permits lol.

IMG_3146.JPG

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
Really!? They bred even in mixed tanks? Okay so I will get down the garden centre and get a load a large flat rocks to create a 'rock wall' for vertical cover And caves etc. Should break up the sight lines fairly well. Stocking wise all the ones I have a fairly mild manored so I was going to stick with that theme and stock more flame backs and peacocks (ideally blood dragon peacocks). What sort of stock density should I be Looking at 20 fish seems about right? Finally what can I do to really make their colours pop? Any secrets? Thanks
I have a new batch of fry about every month, from 3 females. I did not follow the 1 to 5 rule, but I have an elaborate habitat. That allows females to hide and evade any obnoxious male.20160802_192114.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store