Acquired a very emaciated ray, any help appreciated!

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
No meds and clean water. No tankmates or at least divided off. Keep offering foods, live crawlers, blackworms or ghost shrimp if necessary.

GL

Reactions: UnstoppableJayD

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
He is paper thin unfortunately, I did get him free. Did the guy a huge favor though and helped him unload a lot of big fish he needed to rehome before moving. Put money in his pocket quick with sales help.

This guy will cost me some money to save. Only eats live right now. Just put 15 nightcralwers in him. Was surprised he actually ate to be honest! Will probably do that daily until he's fat and healthy and hope he decides to start trying frozen food in the mean time so I don't have to starve him again to get him on an affordable diet.

Reactions: Rghfor

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
He is paper thin unfortunately, I did get him free. Did the guy a huge favor though and helped him unload a lot of big fish he needed to rehome before moving. Put money in his pocket quick with sales help.

This guy will cost me some money to save. Only eats live right now. Just put 15 nightcralwers in him. Was surprised he actually ate to be honest! Will probably do that daily until he's fat and healthy and hope he decides to start trying frozen food in the mean time so I don't have to starve him again to get him on an affordable diet.
Order the crawlers online in bulk if you need a bunch.

How's he doing?

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Order the crawlers online in bulk if you need a bunch.

How's he doing?
I was thinking about ordering a lb or two "red wigglers" next paycheck. So far been buying 18 packs from walmart for $3.

He's eating them, but still super thin. Seen him taste a piece of catfish fillet and tilapia, haven't seen him swallow any yet though. I think once he starts actually eating some frozen stuff it will be much easier to fatten him up. My big girl seems to want the worms he's been getting when she smells him with one she has a tendency to jump on him and must be nipping him or something. Ripping pieces of his skin off the top of his disc on occasion, seems his skin must be super soft for some reason...

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I was thinking about ordering a lb or two "red wigglers" next paycheck. So far been buying 18 packs from walmart for $3.

He's eating them, but still super thin. Seen him taste a piece of catfish fillet and tilapia, haven't seen him swallow any yet though. I think once he starts actually eating some frozen stuff it will be much easier to fatten him up. My big girl seems to want the worms he's been getting when she smells him with one she has a tendency to jump on him and must be nipping him or something. Ripping pieces of his skin off the top of his disc on occasion, seems his skin must be super soft for some reason...
Try seperating them.

I had luck with shrimp but not tilapia for my male. I'd try soaking any frozen in garlic extract for an hour or so before feeding him to entice him a bit more.

awdawg

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Try seperating them.

I had luck with shrimp but not tilapia for my male. I'd try soaking any frozen in garlic extract for an hour or so before feeding him to entice him a bit more.
I'll chop up the next batch of shrimp/fish and soak in garlic, may mince up a worm as well and toss it in their to marinate it all together.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store