Adding another cichlid to a 60g with a female GT?

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have a 60g (US) tank with a 3inch female GT and 6 corydoras and 7 tiger barbs. I love seeing cichlids interact, would I be able to add another cichlid? Maybe a convict or something?

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Depending on tank dimensions, water change schedule, hiding spots; and GT temperament, imo it could be possible to add a convict (I stress possibly). What are the details of those factors in your tank? :)

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
1 Convict should be fine with the GT but I wouldn't trust one with Cories. Your corries will get picked off 1 by 1.

infamous

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2009
canada
1 Convict should be fine with the GT but I wouldn't trust one with Cories. Your corries will get picked off 1 by 1.
And potentially lodged into the fishes throat! Lost a 5" oscar from a cory cat lodged in his mouth in my earlier fish keeping days!

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Well the GT hasn't bothered the cories yet, nothing more than the occasional nip for getting too close. But a convict could be a different story, yeah. The tanks dimensions are 36" long by 18" wide by 21" tall. Water change schedule is 50% every weekend. I have a BioPro B-916 cannister filter that filters 1200L per hour, plus an air pump operated sponge filter. The tank has plenty of drift wood and plants to break up line of sight and create little hiding places.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I put the cories in another tank and added a convict about 2 weeks ago. There was some aggression at first from the GT, so I rearranged the tank and now all is fine. There is zero aggression between the two cichlids, in fact the convict often follows closely behind the GT, and comes up to the top for a feed when he sees the GT do the same. The GT is just over 4in, and the convict is just over 1in.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I put the cories in another tank and added a convict about 2 weeks ago. There was some aggression at first from the GT, so I rearranged the tank and now all is fine. There is zero aggression between the two cichlids, in fact the convict often follows closely behind the GT, and comes up to the top for a feed when he sees the GT do the same. The GT is just over 4in, and the convict is just over 1in.
Hopefully it stays calm for you, any GT or JD i had previously went super saiyan on reaching 5 inches lol; mass destruction

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Hopefully it stays calm for you, any GT or JD i had previously went super saiyan on reaching 5 inches lol; mass destruction
Yeah, hopefully all will be well. If they coexist alright, then they should fill out the tank nicely when they get bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store