Adding uv to canister question

knobhill

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
IN A PLACE
hi all. I'm thinking about adding a uv sterilizer to my 40g tank. I have an eheim 2217 plumbed in through the bottom of the tank. It has an inline heater on the return. My question is: if I add a uv to the return, will that--along with the heater--slow my flow? Since its a canister and closed system, I don't think it will.

Looking forward to responses. Thanks!

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
It shouldn't. There is very little, if any, restriction. If the flow is too high though, it will be less effective. It should still help with clearing water but might not "steralize" the water.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
hi all. I'm thinking about adding a uv sterilizer to my 40g tank. I have an eheim 2217 plumbed in through the bottom of the tank. It has an inline heater on the return. My question is: if I add a uv to the return, will that--along with the heater--slow my flow? Since its a canister and closed system, I don't think it will.

Looking forward to responses. Thanks!
I don't think it will slow it enough to not be effective. If anything it may improve an Eheim. They are a slower flow rate filter as it is. More bio media capacity + slow flow are what make those filters so awesome IMO. I love mine. I have a number of classics as well.

Reactions: CarpCharacin

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
What kind of UV are you planning to install? Is this going to be a QT.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
So cool.

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
The UV steralizer won't really help with algae on the tank and decor. It mainly helps against free-floating algae (green water). It also helps with bacteria, pathogens, water cloudiness, etc. It is definitely a worthwhile addition in my opinion. I just don't know if it will help with algae that grows on surfaces.

Reactions: knobhill

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
Adding any extra pipes or tubing will add to the "head pressure", which is the pressure resisting your flow. So it will reduce it, but I doubt it will be by much. I wouldn't be worried. A dirty filter will slow the flow down way more than adding a UV. Although I guess a turbotwist might slow it down more than other types.

Reactions: knobhill
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store