Advice for a shark or ray newbie

pseudechisbutleri

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
Hi all,

I intend on keeping either a shark or marine ray, once I gain adequate experience with easier SW fish, and I am currently doing my research on looking after sharks and rays. I would appreciate it if someone could offer me some advice about keeping them, specifically, things like the best beginner shark and ray, as well as what to do if I'm away from home.

Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would recommend keep up with the research until you cover all bases such as proper aquarium size, filtration, and foods. I never had ray's but had raised Bamboo, and Marbled catsharks which are probably suggest someone with intermediate experience with Saltwater fish keeping to take the step in shark's or ray's. The Bamboo catsharks and Marbled catsharks imo were the easiest to keep because of their size, and hardiness. :)

pseudechisbutleri

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2016
Perth, Western Australia
I would recommend keep up with the research until you cover all bases such as proper aquarium size, filtration, and foods. I never had ray's but had raised Bamboo, and Marbled catsharks which are probably suggest someone with intermediate experience with Saltwater fish keeping to take the step in shark's or ray's. The Bamboo catsharks and Marbled catsharks imo were the easiest to keep because of their size, and hardiness. :)
Thanks for the help, I'll continue my research. In regards to aquarium size, would a circular aquaculture tank, around 240 centimetres or 8 feet in diameter and 90 centimetres or 3 feet in depth, be enough for a bamboo or marbled catshark?

Thanks

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the help, I'll continue my research. In regards to aquarium size, would a circular aquaculture tank, around 240 centimetres or 8 feet in diameter and 90 centimetres or 3 feet in depth, be enough for a bamboo or marbled catshark?

Thanks

Yes for Marbled catsharks they only get 2'.:D

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Catsharks are my hands down favorite, unfortunately can't afford to keep them anymore. Take your time with learning about these magnificent fish and you will have years of enjoyment with them.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store