African bullfrog advice and progress

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Haha, saw that video the other day. Already have the tongs pal, easily rivals some of the most interesting fish I've kept, never really considered them before.
I've knocked it back to feeding every 2-3 days now, Saturday he ate 10 medium large locust, 20 wax worms, 8 earthworms and 15 to 20 mealworms before he was full!!! Definitely not a cheap pet to feed lol.
Looking forward to the future with this beast, will try to get a feeding video up soon.

Reactions: tlindsey

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
great choice, they don't need as much water as your providing but it will do no harm.

they do like to bury them selves so make sure the substrate is deep enough, if they get too dry they will dig a borrow, cover them selves and form a layer of skin around them to retain moisture, pretty cool frog. make sure you use an calcium supplement and as mentioned try and get them on to mice, this will give them much needed vits and minerals unless you have a low spectrum UV light to help with vit D3. i have had a bit of luck getting them to take lance fish in the past too.

lots of spagy moss is good. i have seen one the size of a dinner plate that lived in a wooden vivarium and eat adult mice. they are mental. personally always had a soft spot for the horned frogs but my wife was a big amphib keeper mainly dendrabates, white and red eyes. good luck with him

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Yeah using vitamin powder, also fed him a few silver sides. He had 40 plus mealworms in a little feeding bowl, sat next to it like a greedy toddler!-)
His strips are fading out, not bitten me yet thankfully. The way he stalks in the water is priceless, seems a shame when I see the YouTube videos and they just have a bowl of water, my little frogzilla spends equally as much time in the water, I have live plants and a filter in the water and do 100 percent change weekly with declorinatord water. I built the land up with large rocks, then 20mm pebbles, then a ceramic dish/tray then the jungle soil... seems happy, hoping the humidity won't hurt him tho as it's likely one hundred percent constantly?

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
As promised

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK

Reactions: tlindsey

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I think hooliganATV hooliganATV covered pretty much everything important....I remember a vendor had them at a Hamburg show we were doing and he fed him an adult mouse several times that day to show off their appetites and aggression, but this individual was MASSIVE. TOO many rodents can cause fatty-liver disease, so a wiser choice might CB Tobacco/Tomato Hornworms, but again, can get very expensive very quickly

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
that video is awesome. love there feeding habits. i could sit for hours watching the white jump around there tank hunting crickets.

tbh one of the best food for any amphib or lizard etc is cockroaches. top tip, buy some large ones (name escapes me but may be hissing would work when its an adult) you buy them as food in some places. get a deep box with a fitting lid (must be a snug fit) put egg crates in there layed, a good thick layer of Vaseline around the top, a sponge damp not wet, chuck in anything fish food, dog food, veg scrapes etc and for get. feed water twice three times a week and with in a month you will have a feeding colony. my last lot i had in black bins in the shed i sold them as colony for about £200 per bin and i only started with 50 hahaha the wife wasnt happy about them being in the house but with a large monitor collections you need a good food sauce, they are a much more balanced food sauce and better for your animal, you can vit the food they eat so no extra vits needed. easier than cricket too.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
You are a legend pal, will look right into it!-) ordered 3 more raninus today, Wildwood has them in stock, you still got yours?

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
hahaha just passing on year of experience with the reptiles lol tend to gain a lot when you breeding and own a business in it, it was my life for 15yrs.

yeh he still here lol doing great dosn't seem to grow pass 5-6"

be interested to see these beast when they turn up.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Hopefully they got it right this time, last time they sent me Asians... remember? Lol
Well I left a note reminding them, might add another 3 to the order yet...
Yours are that big!!! Mine got stuck behind my fx6 piping and perished, I was gutted. Would like to see some updated pics of them with a hand for size reference?
If you sell them send em my way!-)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store