African bullfrog advice and progress

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
funny you should say that hahaha drop you a message over the weekend

ill get a pic next time i'm in the tank. i only have the one it killed the other when i moved there tank i think it was over territory

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Speak soon pal.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I don
that video is awesome. love there feeding habits. i could sit for hours watching the white jump around there tank hunting crickets.

tbh one of the best food for any amphib or lizard etc is cockroaches. top tip, buy some large ones (name escapes me but may be hissing would work when its an adult) you buy them as food in some places. get a deep box with a fitting lid (must be a snug fit) put egg crates in there layed, a good thick layer of Vaseline around the top, a sponge damp not wet, chuck in anything fish food, dog food, veg scrapes etc and for get. feed water twice three times a week and with in a month you will have a feeding colony. my last lot i had in black bins in the shed i sold them as colony for about £200 per bin and i only started with 50 hahaha the wife wasnt happy about them being in the house but with a large monitor collections you need a good food sauce, they are a much more balanced food sauce and better for your animal, you can vit the food they eat so no extra vits needed. easier than cricket too.
I don't think it works like that w/ the vitamins.....once the feeder insects ingest it, their bodies begin breaking it down and digesting it - gutloading works in unison w/ dusting, but you shouldn't sacrifice one for the other.....I would still do both just to be safe....the frogs will excrete anything their body does not utilize. If you see lots of white in the fecal matter, then it might be good to cut back on calcium, but I would start with mice, since the dust contain vital nutrients besides just calcium.

My thoughts.

Reactions: FishTanksOfCO

hooliganATV

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2014
Wales UK
I don
I don't think it works like that w/ the vitamins.....once the feeder insects ingest it, their bodies begin breaking it down and digesting it - gutloading works in unison w/ dusting, but you shouldn't sacrifice one for the other.....I would still do both just to be safe....the frogs will excrete anything their body does not utilize. If you see lots of white in the fecal matter, then it might be good to cut back on calcium, but I would start with mice, since the dust contain vital nutrients besides just calcium.

My thoughts.
i agree (sorry maybe my rambling may have mixed it up lol ) you will need to dust any insects you feed to your frog but you can also dust the insect food as well, mammals and fish eaten should provided enough if its a regular routine. the miss conception isn't the amount the animal can digest its whether the rest of the components are there too. gut loading helps with a good varied diet the main problem is the production of Vit D3 needed to produce bone and growth. this process is normally helped by natural uv radiation produced by the sun, but a lot of amphibs try to avoid direct sunlight to stop dehydration. this can be helped in captivity with a low UV bulb 2.0 or maybe a 5.0, but its at risk. dusting helps because it much easier for the body to brake it down and be used. insects don't have much calcium in them anyway, dusting helps to prevent the need for lights and add the digestive track with the process. basking animals need to have lights and good UV radiation to help the process.

that said insects do have a lot of other benefits that mammals don't have and in the wild it would make up a large amount of the frogs diet so one should not be sacrificed for the other. meal warms/ wax warms are a good treat but don't have much of any thing that's useful active insects like crickets, locus, cockroaches, beetles are much better. I suppose its the same as feeding fish mammal meat it will work but what it gives the fish isn't all that great as there digestive track isn't adapted to process what it needs from it.

just to clarify its been at least 7 years since i have owned any lizards or frogs and 5 years since my last snake left so probably a lot more up to date people out there lol

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
,........ dusting helps to prevent the need for lights and add the digestive track with the process. basking animals need to have lights and good UV radiation to help the process.
This certainly not the case, animals that require UVB, require UVB, even MORE when dusting and more nutrients come into play. Without UVB, there would be no point in dusting at all unless the animal is 100% Nocturnal. Diurnal and Crepuscular animals require the UVB to synthesize D3 which allows them to absorb calcium ; no D3, no Calcium = Metabolic Bone Disease. When dusting and feeding foods high in calcium, lack of UVB runs your animal the risk of overdosing. Use a 2.0 if you're concerned, but I have seen a variety of tropical Amphibians under 10.0 and 90F and the only thing I noticed different about them is increased appetite, and while I wouldn't by any means recommend it (when a 5.0 is more than enough at 12-18" away), African Bullfrogs are INCREDIBLY hardy and resilient so if anything could endure, they would be the ones.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Do not feed rodents to frogs this leads to fatty lipid disease (fld) also yeah both African bullfrogs will kill each other over territory

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Frogzilla has been mostly eating lots of money and growing lots.... beast.
5.5+ inch now!-)

IMG_20161105_131153.jpg

IMG_20161105_131145.jpg

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Thanks, pretty sure it's a him at this stage.
I need to highlight to anyone wishing to keep one, they eat a lot, currently he eats 3 boxes of adult locust a week containing around 7 in each plus treats. Occasionally extra boxes of worms, cockroach plus frozen silverside...
Would love to add a female in a large tank but I think everyone agrees he will eat her sooner or later?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Frogzilla has been mostly eating lots of money and growing lots.... beast.
5.5+ inch now!-)

View attachment 1213096

View attachment 1213097
be careful with this type of set-up.....I did one w/ a plastic critter-keeper similar to this for a juvenile Chinese Water Dragon and built a waterfall into it and he managed to wedge himself between the glass and the "Critter-Fall'' and ended up drowning, sadly.....this looks fine and he looks too FAT to have this issue but they may surprise you by squeezing into tight spots you'd never expect. Make sure the water level stays below his face just to be safe is my advice......JUST in case.

He looks great BTW, is that a 65 gallon?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store