African Butterfly Fish

Qtp443

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
So I've been trying to look in to these and I can't seem to find much about them is you could just tell me a little bit about them that would be great.

Thanksimage.jpg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Personally one of my favorite fish I have two right now in my 30 gallon community aquarium, I mostly enjoy how they wait in ambush for food especially crickets, and freeze dried meal worms:) They even allow the hatchet fish to share the surface with them.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They get about 5 inches in size. Can keep multiple together. They like floating plants/cover. Surface water. Will take flakes and floating prepared foods. No current in the tank and loe light. Need a cover as well as I have lost a few to suicide. Can keep with larger fish like other oddballs but nothing too aggressive. Like T said a favorite for a lot of us here on the forum.

Qtp443

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
They get about 5 inches in size. Can keep multiple together. They like floating plants/cover. Surface water. Will take flakes and floating prepared foods. No current in the tank and loe light. Need a cover as well as I have lost a few to suicide. Can keep with larger fish like other oddballs but nothing too aggressive. Like T said a favorite for a lot of us here on the forum.
I have 2 Severus, 1 ram, and 1 knight goby in a 50 gal aquarium. Do u think a few of these will fit in well?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I'm not sure about Severums. I have heard of them being a very gentle fish so hard to say. If I'm remembering properly about Severums. The others are ok. Plenty of floating plants and decor will help them hide if any fish start to notice fish at the top n

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
As long as you have a good cover on the tank, some surface cover for them to hang out in they should e fine. They are very cool fish, mini arowana.

Qtp443

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2015
I'm not sure about Severums. I have heard of them being a very gentle fish so hard to say. If I'm remembering properly about Severums. The others are ok. Plenty of floating plants and decor will help them hide if any fish start to notice fish at the top n
Just wandering, could you feed them small feeder fish?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
They do feed on smaller fish in the wild but I'd rather go with prepared foods. Low risk of transferring something to the fish. Add in what aquanero mentioned.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Pretty cool fish IMO just like a mini arowana. Only issue I ever had with them was I fould butterfly fish jerky a few times. I wouldn't see an issue with multiple in that tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store