African Clawed Frog

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
A few other things to keep in mind with African clawed frogs (Xenopus laevis). They are a temperate species so won't require a heater in their tank. The temperature in my tank during the winter gets down to about 68 F, and can get around 75-76F in the heat of summer, which is a bit too warm. A bare bottom tank or sand substrate is good. Aquarium gravel is not good as they can ingest gravel had become impacted. They will eat a variety of foods. It's best to avoid freeze-dried foods.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Good tankmates:large goldfish,Senegal bichir,silver dollars,super red Severus,native mussels. Avoid keeping with any other amphibian species.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
lol don't tempt me! :p

I do miss their burbling, and random frog mating calls in the middle of the night lol
*continues the peer pressure*
I also want frogs lol. I have a cracked 60 litre that im thinking about. Nice Scaping tropicals, shell dwellers or frogs :eek:
that can be fixed easily w/ a good seal of silicone on the inside and a double-layer of JB-Weld on the outside
Lucked up with a male and female Dwarf African Clawed frogs, and heard the male call a long beeeeeb lol. The males also jump up and down when trying to attract female.
They are just called "clawed" - not closely related to the Clawed Frogs, the English names are deceiving but very very different creatures in their own right
African clawed frogs are great pets. I have 7 in a 75 gal tank. They were in a 40 breeder but outgrew that tank. I kept dwarf African frogs before (in a small tank) but they aren't nearly as interesting as the larger ones and eventually passed after a year.
As stated above, don't keep them with fishes. They do best in a species only setting. Also, make sure the tank is completely covered. I lost one that got out a small space between the filter and plastic strip on the back of the glass top.

View attachment 1212617

View attachment 1212618

View attachment 1212619
You could just not fill it to the top also :D

Reactions: convict360

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Most of the base is cracked so im just going to silicon a new piece of glass on the inside to replace the base

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
you can do that too, but if it's just a small tank and the water pressure from inside isn't much, you may not even need to
The base cracked almost entirely and spilt all the water out on the floor over a holiday in a classroom. my floor is carpet so if it breaks again im screwed. rather safe than sorry

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store