African clawed frog's

Tyrone dav

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Trenton new Jersey
Hello can any one tell me about this frog's do they have a fast growth rate and how much water i need in my tank what do they eat thinking about buying two for my 40breeder tank

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I caught these frogs in a drainage ditch no more than 4 inches deep in a San Diego neighborhood. They're carnivores that will eat anything they can jam into their mouths. I don't remember their exact growth rate but, it seemed variable on the amount of protein they were fed. Xenopus laevis achieved full growth in about a year and a half.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
I've had my clawed frog for three years or so, and she's about three inches long. I didn't really understand frogs when I got her, and she got off to a slow start, but these days she grows visibly every month.
I feed mine a variety of meaty foods: crickets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, nightcrawler segments, waxworms, mealworms, etc. She also really likes Hikari carnivore pellets.

They are extremely adaptable and can usually manage to carve out an existence as long as they have freshwater. I keep mine in a ten gallon tank, completely filled, with a sponge filter. They aren't very picky. As Oddball said, they're often found in warm, muddy, stagnant water that seems like it can't sustain much life... though IME they seem to thrive in somewhat deeper water with filtration.

I wouldn't make the water more than a foot deep though, because they do need to surface to breathe atmospheric oxygen a few times an hour, and despite their robust muscular back legs, they are quite cumbersome swimmers (though mine did get much better at swimming once I added the filter).

I'd be hesitant to keep multiple together. If one of them dominates the other at feeding time, and manages to get a bit of a size advantage, the smaller one could become a dietary supplement. Because of the ecology of this species in the wild... living in puddles and ditches where food is scarce... they have evolved the ability to eat extremely large prey items relative to body size, including other frogs. Don't ever underestimate a frog's ability to eat something. :p

Reactions: Tyrone dav

Tyrone dav

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2015
Trenton new Jersey
I've had my clawed frog for three years or so, and she's about three inches long. I didn't really understand frogs when I got her, and she got off to a slow start, but these days she grows visibly every month.
I feed mine a variety of meaty foods: crickets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, nightcrawler segments, waxworms, mealworms, etc. She also really likes Hikari carnivore pellets.

They are extremely adaptable and can usually manage to carve out an existence as long as they have freshwater. I keep mine in a ten gallon tank, completely filled, with a sponge filter. They aren't very picky. As Oddball said, they're often found in warm, muddy, stagnant water that seems like it can't sustain much life... though IME they seem to thrive in somewhat deeper water with filtration.

I wouldn't make the water more than a foot deep though, because they do need to surface to breathe atmospheric oxygen a few times an hour, and despite their robust muscular back legs, they are quite cumbersome swimmers (though mine did get much better at swimming once I added the filter).

I'd be hesitant to keep multiple together. If one of them dominates the other at feeding time, and manages to get a bit of a size advantage, the smaller one could become a dietary supplement. Because of the ecology of this species in the wild... living in puddles and ditches where food is scarce... they have evolved the ability to eat extremely large prey items relative to body size, including other frogs. Don't ever underestimate a frog's ability to eat something. :p
thanks guys wow good information

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I've got 6 African clawed frogs in my 40 breeder. There are 4 females and 2 males. Size does depend on how much they are fed and their sex. Females tend to grow bigger than males. IME, the albino acf don't grow as big as the wild type.
My tank is filled to the top, but the glass cover is completely sealed except for a few small holes for the pothos vines and the area around the filter return. They are great excape artists so if your tank is filled make sure there is no space for them to get out, or leave the water level a few inches from the top.
If you get more than one, make sure they are similar in size. Frogs are measured from the tip of there nose to their vent. There aren't many suitable tank mates for them either. I do have a few fishes in with mine- opaline gourami, paradise fish, and rosy barbs. Started with 6 barbs, and now there are 2.
I feed mine Reptomin sticks, earthworms, frozen krill, shrimp, squid, and tilapia. They are fairly easy to train to eat from your hand. I target feed each one. Adults should be fed a few times a week, juveniles can be fed more often.
Good filtration and water quality is important, as with any critter we keep in aquariums. As for temperature, keep them cool. Upper 60s or low 70s.
They are great pets. I gave up a reef tank to keep my frogs.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store