Air pump suggestions

dcapps123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
California
I bought a 135 used, and it came with a tetra DW 96-2 worked for me for about 6 months, not sure how long i was used before I got it. When that one went out I bought a tetra 100 whisper, its lasted about 4 months. Tank is 24 deep, running 2 12" stones, pump under tank in stand. Any suggestions on a good pump that is going to last? Thanks.

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
I've been really happy with my millionair MA600's...don't let the price throw you off...they have plenty of power...are VERY quiet and have a dual adjustable outlet. I use them to run a pair of hydro5 sponge filters each in tanks up to 30" deep...no problem at all....just don't forget the anti syphon valves.....

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
I keep a fleet of cheapies on hand. They are all Topfin and all around two years old. I expected some to be dead by now but none so far. They are cheap enough to be considered disposable. My deapest sponge filter is down 24"; I also run an air stone in that tank.

dcapps123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
California
Wolf3101;1133661; said:
I've been really happy with my millionair MA600's...don't let the price throw you off...they have plenty of power...are VERY quiet and have a dual adjustable outlet. I use them to run a pair of hydro5 sponge filters each in tanks up to 30" deep...no problem at all....just don't forget the anti syphon valves.....
lol, I see Millionair air pump and don't let the price throw you off and think, wow how much can those things go for. I just checked on an online store 11.99 for an MA600. I checked my 75g to see what was on there and its some pump that says aquaculture, maybe it's the cheepies that last that ones been on there for 2 years and was given to me used, i have no idea how old it is. Thanks again

Wolf3101

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2007
Arizona
Your welcome...LOL yes the Ma600 is really cheap compared to some of the major name brands but they run for years and years.

Hartzell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Philippines
You mentioned that the pump is under the tank. Do you have a check valve? If the pump stops for one reason or another, water could be flowing back to the pump and ruining it. Just a thought.

dcapps123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2007
California
Hartzell;1137960; said:
You mentioned that the pump is under the tank. Do you have a check valve? If the pump stops for one reason or another, water could be flowing back to the pump and ruining it. Just a thought.
Yeah I have anti-flow back valves inline. I pulled both the pumps apart and all the diaprams are ripped. I guess they just don't last long, has anyone ever oiled the rubber diaprams to make them a little more flexible, I was thinking maybe that may get a little more life out of them-just a thought.

Hartzell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2007
Philippines
Don't do that. Unless the rubber diaphragms are made of oil-resistant rubber, they will deteriorate upon contact with oil.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store