Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details
      Dismiss Notice

Air pump with crayfish?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by landmineyouth, Nov 30, 2005.

1. landmineyouth

landmineyouth MFK Members

Rob Riggs
      Aug 25, 2015
      Hey guys Ive heard mixed feelings about this. They say you arent supposed to keep a crayfish with water too far over his head because they need to breathe air....

An air pump was suggested to me... but im sick of it. Would a 5" crayfish be fine in a 10 gallon tank w/ no air pump? Keep in mind im running a 10-gallon whisper filter... would that provide enough airation? I can add a 2nd filter of the same size if necasary.

2. rallysman

rallysman MFK Members

Apr 24, 2015
      I keep mine in a full 29 and he has been in there for a long time. All i have for agitation is a filter.

3. Oddball

Oddball Administrator
      Staff Member

If there's BBQ, I'll answer to any name
      Today at 8:44 PM
      No problem in a 10. I've caught crayfish in 4ft of water and I maintain my crays in 38" deep stock tanks.

4. guppy

guppy Small Squiggly Thing

May 11, 2008
      Bear in mind that there are many types of crayfish, in Virginia there is a type that lives in chimnied burrows instead of in the water, that kind might drown, most will not as long as the water is not stagnant, just your filter should work fine. air pumps just increase surface movement any way, if worried you could replace it with a small powerhead.

5. softturtle

softturtle MFK Members

Kyle Karsten
      Today at 8:46 PM
      I think most crayfish will burrow if a water source is not available. I find crayfish in these little "volcano looking" holes in the ground all the time in the summer and fall. They are also the same ones I find in the lakes and streams around here.

6. landmineyouth

landmineyouth MFK Members

Rob Riggs
      Aug 25, 2015
      What would you say to this then, guppy?

"Ok, it's a tough call. Will it work, yes. But why the resistance to an air pump? The big issue is water quality. And a big part of that is the Dissolved Oxygen. So, more water movement is definitely a good thing. The concern I would have with less water in a deep tank is if the filter can draw enough water up to it. IF the filter has no problem drawing the water, then the increased fall and splashing will circulate the water and aerate it as well or better than an air pump for the most part."

Was told this on a different board...

7. joeytoe

joeytoe Semper fidelis

Jul 24, 2014
      I think youd Def need some sort of water agitation to get Oxygen into the water. I can remember from years ago catching crayfish an keeping them in a 3 gal plastic goldfish bowl with No air an no agitation an they died in a day. :(

8. guppy

guppy Small Squiggly Thing

May 11, 2008
      I am not against air pumps, the bubbles agitate the surface and increase motion leading to more gas exchange. You were asking if you could do without one, I think you can for most species. I also think that most water dwellers do better with higher O2 levels and a small power head in the right position increases surface motion with less noise.
      Very few species of crayfish voluntarily spend time out of water and the more water you have in the tank the easier it is to stabalize your water parameters.

9. ShadowVengance

ShadowVengance MFK Members

May 15, 2014
      i kept a river caught crayfish in a 5 gallon plastic tupperware tub with some rocks for 3 months without anything other than a 20% daily waterchange.

it didn't die, molted twice, and I realized him back to where I got him from, fed it shrimp pellets.

I agree with the fact that it probably depends on the type of crayfish, the ones over here are completly underwater all the time, i've never seen one on land unless it was dragged out by a predator.

10. ChickenTeeth

ChickenTeeth MFK Members

Dec 27, 2005
      I tink u should have some artifacts in the tank to allow the crayfisH to climb out and be out of the water if they want. Not just to meet any oxygen requirements. Cuz they can breath under water and in atmospheric air, there must be a succint reason they may choose to breath air. Just cuz we don't know why, we should'nt be too quick to say they don't need to.