Albino senegal question

TroubleTenfold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
I've been wanting a bichir for quite some time now, and am curious/confused about something I read on beblondie's great polypterid primer:
The minimum tank size for a single small species of
bichir is a tank with a footprint of 36''x12''x16'' your standard 30 gallon tank
Would this be for a fully grown smaller species like the senegal? I've heard that albinos typically top out at around 8-10 inches, would a 38 gallon with a footprint of 36"x12" be too small for it? I was considering either housing one alone or with a school of 3-4 fish that would be big enough to not be called dinner.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I personally would recommend a 36"x18" footprint as the minimum. But a 36"x12" would do for a good while. What fish are you planning to add as tankmates?

TroubleTenfold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
I personally would recommend a 36"x18" footprint as the minimum. But a 36"x12" would do for a good while. What fish are you planning to add as tankmates?
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to upgrade a tank size for quite some time. If a senegal wouldn't be comfortable in this size as an adult I can't in good conscience consider keeping one for the time being. (As for tank mates, I was considering 3 or 4 rosy barbs since they get to about 5.5-6 inches.)
Thanks for the advice.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
How long until you would be able to upgrade?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
If you get it small it should be able to do fine in there for a year and a half to 2 years. As far as rosy barbs. You'd have to get them large and hope the bichir doesn't out grow them. However I can't see the bichir out growing them if you get the bichir small and barbs large.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I'm also not sure where you live, but petco and petsmart usually have sales where you can get 40B (36"x18") for either $40 for just the tank (petco $ per gallon sale) or $80 with glass tops and a light (petsmart $2 per gallon sale.

TroubleTenfold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
I'm also not sure where you live, but petco and petsmart usually have sales where you can get 40B (36"x18") for either $40 for just the tank (petco $ per gallon sale) or $80 with glass tops and a light (petsmart $2 per gallon sale.
I just dropped a bunch of money on my current tank and stand, so I can't really afford to get a new tank and stand unless I returned this one. I'm not even sure I can return them, honestly. If I could find my receipt I might consider trying. Dumb question probably, but are stands for a 40B readily available or is that something I'd have to order?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
They are usually something you either have to make or buy from someone else. That's why I keep one of my 40B on a dresser, but you could probably put it on any sturdy piece of furniture. You'll have to get a stand eventually, but it gives you a ton of time to find one.

TroubleTenfold

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2015
They are usually something you either have to make or buy from someone else. That's why I keep one of my 40B on a dresser, but you could probably put it on any sturdy piece of furniture. You'll have to get a stand eventually, but it gives you a ton of time to find one.
Thank you for all of your help. I contacted Petco, and they're willing to let me make an exchange. I am concerned about the stand because I know I don't have any furniture sturdy enough to hold the tank, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store