Algae growing on new planted tank

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
looks to be diatoms very common with new setups will go away with time a lot of fish will eat them.
Bad part about adding those smaller algae eaters is that I'm using it as a grow out tank for my vampire fish and bass to out in my 150 gallon tank with another large bass that will eat them at the size they are

altumangel

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2016
4 t5 bulbs in a 40g is way to much. that is the main problem for algae growing on the glass and plants. if u want to keep this light ur gonna need a lot more plants to compete with algae. no amount of oto will fix the algae problems. with your light its consider high tech. with that light u will need tons of plants and fertz co2 to balance out the tank. or u need to take out 2 bulbs to cut the light down. the plants u have in there are easy to grow low light plants u dont need that much light. so u either have to cut back the light OR get a ton more plants to compete with algae.

Reactions: Preacher

Dieboldly

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2015
Buena Park, CA
4 t5 bulbs in a 40g is way to much. that is the main problem for algae growing on the glass and plants. if u want to keep this light ur gonna need a lot more plants to compete with algae. no amount of oto will fix the algae problems. with your light its consider high tech. with that light u will need tons of plants and fertz co2 to balance out the tank. or u need to take out 2 bulbs to cut the light down. the plants u have in there are easy to grow low light plants u dont need that much light. so u either have to cut back the light OR get a ton more plants to compete with algae.
I can cut back the light to 2. I'm okay with that. This light was really only temp till I have enough saved to buy a new tank light for this tank.

Drx6x

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2015
IL
with diatoms its mostly a waiting game usually will fix them selves in a months time. reducing the light will help you not get the green allergy that usually pops up after the diatom phase. more plants and floating plants will also help a lot. frogbit is a nice fast grower that will soak up the nutrients before algae can.

Yohanon

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2016
Tennessee
I would favor nerite snails over pond snails. They cannot reproduce in fresh water, so no worries about a snail population explosion in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store