All DIY stand builders please read

joefish72b

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2011
Florida
I see a lot of people are making stands using framing lumber. This is the worst material to use because it will absorb moisture and beging to flex, bend, bow. You all should be using cabinet grade plywood (preferably hardwood) as your main structure for your stand.

I build stands for large tanks and to date never had a stand or tank fail. I make a simple box frame and a hardwood face frame, they work out perfectly. They are also way lighter than a lumber stand and probaly 3-5 times stronger and more stable. The face frame is screwed to the other three sides of the box and then two solid plywood panels are added to the left and right inside the face frame to make it strong enough to hold the weight of a tank with no bending.

In my area I just saw a tank on craigslist that had busted "for no reason" the reason is the stand was homemade and it warped just enough that it stressed the tank until it failed.

Here are some pics and anyone feel free to email me for some pointers.

240 gallon

150 gallon

5 gallon light fixture turned into a tank

Red oak stand for a 170

two stands laying down 125 size to left rear, 300 gallon to front right

300 gallon load testing

How to build a stand:
The start

Front frame

Rear box frame (removable support is added to the large opening)

What it looks like all together

The inside floor

150 gallon dry run to test fit

150 gallon on top (notice 2 darker front panels, they are solid maple plywood and screwed to the inside)

Total cost of materials for this stand less than $200

Silent Bob

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2011
Plainfield, IL
That itty-bitty little thing would collapse under the wieght of some of the larger tanks on here. There is no way I would trust that holding up my 600 gallon tank using that little of support under the tank. Been a union cabinetmaker for a little over a decade and the only thing cabinet grade plywood is good for is making things look nice.

You ever seen plywood de-laminate? I have. Never seen a 2"x6" delaminate. But I have seen crappy joinery on some stands before using solid lumber which would lead to failures.

surfpalmsncycads

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2010
whittier ca
they look nice but i feel safer with 2x4s and screws over ply n glue. if anything id add a beauty board over the cover. end product will cost me max 30 bucks compared to 200. ill make the stand in under 2 hours compared to? if i had only 1 tank as a showtank i might want something decorative. i cant affor nor do i have time to make somethin like this for all my tanks.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
I'm making a stand with 4x4s and 2x4s, total overkill I know. But I primed, painted and sealed the stand, so anything short of a flood shouldn't create any problems. I'm no expert like some of you but I think it'll be sufficient

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I made plenty of stands in my day. Never had a single tank crack because of water related bowing on 2x4s or plywood. If the stand is properly built, it shouldn't be an issue.

On a side note, if a manufacturer is willing to warranty a tank based on said tank sitting on laminated particle board, a 2x4 stand should allow someone to sleep real easy.

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
I trust my stand more than I'd trust yours...But great job on them!

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Wow! You sure did set yourself up good for negative feedback with your very first paragraph. Majority of people building DYI stands do use 2x4 framing lumber successfully and you pretty much just shot them down. I built one for my 430.00 and I'm not worried about it failing one bit. I don't know, you tell me what you think ;)

Sent from my LG-P509

uploadfromtaptalk1350454892812.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1350454913222.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1350454934892.jpg

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I would love to see the construction process. I would definitely build a stand like this for both my tanks.

Sent from my Comet using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
I would love to see the construction process. I would definitely build a stand like this for both my tanks.

Sent from my Comet using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It's not my design, it's based on Uaru Joey's design. I added a few more braces
His design is very adaptable like that. 2x4, 2x6, 4x4, whatever you require for your specific aquarium dimensions. Go check out his YouTube videos, you'll see :)Aloha.

Sent from my LG-P509

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store