Alligator gar broke his back help

Jwalin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2021
Well this is my first time on this website so I don’t know what I am doing . The thing is I have 3 alligator gar the biggest one is 24-25 inches second ones 22-23 inches the smallest one is 18-19 inches and this smallest guy broke his back .HHAALLLPPP! What do I do ?. I really love this fish . So all three gar are in a
(50 ‘ long by 6’ wide pond 2’ deep) pond probably close to 4000 gallons . One of the gar has a spine break which I think is from hitting a lotus pot too hard
WHAT DO I DO ?

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Well this is my first time on this website so I don’t know what I am doing . The thing is I have 3 alligator gar the biggest one is 24-25 inches second ones 22-23 inches the smallest one is 18-19 inches and this smallest guy broke his back .HHAALLLPPP! What do I do ?. I really love this fish . So all three gar are in a
(50 ‘ long by 6’ wide pond 2’ deep) pond probably close to 4000 gallons . One of the gar has a spine break which I think is from hitting a lotus pot too hard
WHAT DO I DO ?
Can it still swim? Depending on age and severity it could heal fine or may heal with deformities. Clean water and food is all you really can do.

Jwalin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2021
They all are close to 7 months old and if was to guess it does look bad on that gar but it can move its tail

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
They all are close to 7 months old and if was to guess it does look bad on that gar but it can move its tail
You can’t really heal an internal injury besides good water changes. I had my 14” Florida gar break it’s back this year, and sadly it didn’t recover and passed on. I couldn’t treat it with any medicine since it was an internal injury problem

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Well luckily the gar seems to have healed somehow there still is a bend in his back but it is not as severe as it was
Gotta love old breed resilience's! Great News!

Jwalin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2021
Yh fat and healthy
I actually did a water change in the pond and measured them gar. Two of em are 28 inches and one is 24 inches . I’d say it’s decent growth considering they less than an year old .
I plan on upgrading them from 3500 gallons to 25000 gallon next year

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store