alligator gar temp

Braeden kyle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2015
I was curious how cold I could keep my aquarium for my gar I currently keep it about 78 degrees I am about to move him into an indoor pond in my garage the Temps in the pond run from 70 -74 degrees is that to cold and I need to get it warmer ?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I bet it will be fine. If it were me I'd start dropping temp in the tank a little to get it close. But 78 -74 really isn't a big deal

Braeden kyle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2015
That's what I started doing I turned down the heaters in the aquarium it's in and I was going to match the pond temp before moving him do you know if I don't cover the pond if he will jump out

Braeden kyle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2015
Does the species also matter on the temperature mine is an alligator gar from my research it should be fine in water Temps in the 60 ' s or even cooler but I wouldn't want to kill some thin I've invested so much in also are they more sensitive if thete younger my fish is 6 months old and about 18 inchs long thank you

Joecool44

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2015
New Jersey
I would lower the temp in ur tank 74-75 and see if he acts weird or is being odd if not ten ur good also thank god someone supplies a pond I've seen to many of these guys get sold to people who
Think they can live in a fish tank 5+ years people just don't understand the true size of these beast

Braeden kyle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2015
Yeah I see that I did alot of research before I bought him and bought two RTC that's I had to give away cause they got to big I'm sure eventually he will out grow the pond it's only 1000 gal but until then it should be good to start him in since he will be the only fish in it I will keep posted on my progress thanks for the info

Reactions: Joecool44

Braeden kyle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2015
If I can only get the aquarium to 76 degrees. Is it okay to transfer if the Pond Is 72 OR Is That To Much Of A Shock

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
transfer him while you are doing water change for the tank and put the old water that you suck out from the tank into a plastic container. then put the gar in the container and float it in the pond to acclimate; after the temperature in the pond and container become even, net or just pick the gar out and put in the pond. Gator gar are very tough fish so he will be fine.

the lion who ate the sun

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2014
georgia
Post some pics!
Yeah I see that I did alot of research before I bought him and bought two RTC that's I had to give away cause they got to big I'm sure eventually he will out grow the pond it's only 1000 gal but until then it should be good to start him in since he will be the only fish in it I will keep posted on my progress thanks for the info

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store