Alligator Snapper Not Eating.

CretaceousCreatures101

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2015
Oakland County, Michigan
I recently ordered a small ally snapper from Dan on Kingsnake. He's all alone in a 40 gallon breeder right now (I took your guys' advice and kept him in a separate tank from my common snapper). He is behaving normally but he has not eaten since arriving... It's been about a week and a half now, should I be worried? I tried feeding him live minnows, a frozen pinkie mouse, and shrimp... What else should I try? He doesn't appear to be hungry or unhappy. Any advice?

clifton

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2008
PA.
Mine initially only took fish he'd angle for. Ate nothing for 2 weeks at first, then started picking off guppies (later rosy reds). For the longest time (a few years), he'd only angle. When I raised the temp from 78 to 82-83 degrees there was a leap in his metabolism, and he started eating almost anything. Dead fish, worms, later pinkie mice. Hope this helps. There seems to be a rather long adjustment period at first. Had I raised the temp earlier I might have had better results. Also, small minnows or guppies, with a back injury from forceps, but a little wiggle left in them were accepted sooner than dead ones. Wounded, giving off a little blood seemed to pique his curiosity. Eventually anything that IS food, might be food, or used to be food gets accepted. That includes "the hand that feeds them". Patience, it's an adventure, and we're on their timetable. They live as long as 3 or 4 generations of humans.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
I agree with Clifton, try to boost the water temp a little and see if that helps. You can also try some earthworms and bloodworms.

kljr

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Try giving it worms or pellets at the start. Something that won't move that much, since it's a baby

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store