Alligator Snapping Turtle

Metalgearliquid2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
NY
can alligator snapping turtles survive ny winters in an outdoor pond?

i know people who cant handle keeping them and i am planning on turning half of my backyard into a HUGE ravine pond to house them.
i am going to dig down three feet and create an underground fence made of steele plating then build a wire fence above ground to keep them from escaping.

this is a summer project and i am still preparing for it

the major thing i need to know is if they can survive the freezing weather

any info is much appreciated :D

Metalgearliquid2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
NY
im so ready to just start it already haha i cant wait

Metalgearliquid2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
NY
good :D

oh yea would i need to heat any of the water to keep it from freezing over?

Metalgearliquid2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
NY
sounds great im going to start it as soon as possible

im still going through the legal stuff but i know ppl :D that always helps

its more or less a reptile rescue so this way i have a permit to keep them (their illegal to keep in NY)

thanks for your help ill end up posting pics when i start the project :headbang2

10ren

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2010
ks
Yes heat the water. When dealing with a pond the water doesn't flow and isn't as deep as a river. The top maybe frozen but the lower deep end isnt. Another note snappers like to bury them self's. They do this to hunt or just to hide.They dont bask as much as other turtles. My common snapper has never come out of the water. But its good to have a spot for them just in case

snakeguy101

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2009
posting bail
scotty1969;4004062; said:
no , they survive here ( indiana ) with no help . it gets pretty cold here this year we had some -0 temps
Are you talking about Ally Snappers or just commons, I didn't know they went up that far and I thought that ally snappers needed it warmer.

Metalgearliquid2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2009
NY
10ren;4004162; said:
Yes heat the water. When dealing with a pond the water doesn't flow and isn't as deep as a river. The top maybe frozen but the lower deep end isnt. Another note snappers like to bury them self's. They do this to hunt or just to hide.They dont bask as much as other turtles. My common snapper has never come out of the water. But its good to have a spot for them just in case

i was thinking that i could even heat half of the water just so it doesnt freeze over

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store