an amazing but unexpected thing happened

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Hello: Here in the USA many new laws are being proposed to ban the import of non native (exotic) species of fish, reptiles, plants and such. Some non native species have been released into the environment and have been causing serious problems where they have been able to reproduce and impact the native wildlife.
People that do not want species banned for import often cite that species from warm climates cannot survive in colder climates. Your experience seems to question this assumption. However the fact that an adult can survive the winter in a pond that freezes over does not always indicate that species can raise offspring under those conditions. Survival of an adult is a good indicator that this may be possible.
Raising fry would very well be possible, since summers in mainland europe ( except scandinavia) are very warm. The question is if those fry would survive the winter.

TheCichlidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Romania
yep that's true adults are adults and are harder than young ones but we can't say they wont survive if their parents did...sad thing is it's alone so no breeding and yes summers here are very hot and water can get up to 78 F as is very hot outside

TheCichlidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Romania
i'd like to but firstly i am not sure of it's gender and secondly is in my friend's pond so is his decision if he wants another one

Stratoquarius

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2011
Calgary
Why are people debating about America and their crappy laws? the guy lives in Romania stop derailing his thread to be about invasion of non native species.

Thecichlidman, is it possible you could get some pictures? I would love to see the jag lurking in a pond.
Also if you get another cold winter it might be worth dropping an outdoor pond heater into the pond just to make sure that it survives every winter.

TheHolyArachnid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2012
Spiderweb
Not surprising. Jaguar's are easily one of the hardiest species of cichlids like convict's, Jack Dempsey's, Mayan's, and ect.

My mother was from Romania and she told me that the summers their get REALLY hot, and winter's 'usually' aren't bad.

My brother told me he and his friends did science experiment with convict's. They bought a 10g tank with 4 small convict's. The convicts were left outside all spring, summer, fall, and winter without a heater only a filter. Surprisingly only one died in the summer because of the heat, and the rest survived the YEAR! My brother lives in Colorado too, Colorado get's some nasty ferocious winters. He explained that they stay at the bottom huddled together. I was shocked to hear that.

TheCichlidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Romania
yep both of you are wright what's the matter of trying to keep some fish in a pond without releasing them to wild and in my country there aren't any banned fish ..different laws guys .. i will take some pics if i can ...i am going at my friend this days and if i see the jag i'll make pics but now is for sure at deeper water and is harder to see it and also this summer i am probably making my own outdoor pond and will be a big one and i will put my red tail in it i think will survive too and i will add a heater but a small one which i think it will keep a part of the pond heated and if he survives i will get some cons as a constant food source couse they'll breed...and for sure lot more cichlids and other monsters

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Where in Romania do you live? I mean, Romania is HUGE, in the south it has a climate similar to turkey and in the north more similar to russia! So we can't just go and say Romania is a hot or cold country..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store