Anchor worm?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It looks like anchor worm. Will likely need to Qt the loach and monitor the other fish.

Treatment used can be salt, potassium permaganate, formalin, or dimilin.

May need to do a dip as loaches are sensitive to most meds. This can be done with potassium permagranante and formalin.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
That's a big tank to catch a fish out of, but if you can I have had good luck with manual removal using foreceps. Add a little salt or melafix to the tank to help heal the wound.

Products can work well too. Just be careful with that loach skin! Don't go too crazy with salt.

Pomatomus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
Sarasota, FL
After checking my resources I would say that salt can help, but it is unlikely that it will kill the fluke. Some species have demonstrated the ability to withstand salt up to 22ppt for 6 days.

Looks like prolonged potassium permanganate, dimilin, or a store product will be your best bet. If you choose not to just remove it that is.

Charney

The Fish Doctor
Staff member
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Somerville NJ
wow what a great picture. honestly not many over the counter options. best I can think of is tetra parasite guard tablets. If you have a vet that can get meds compounded for you then we have more options

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
You can bomb it with sodium chlorite. Be warned, this will kill all bacteria in your filter also, so its like trading one problem for another; but it will kill the parasite.

Hate anchor worm with a passion, hope you're able to tackle this quickly !

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store