Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Angel fish and Festivum cichlid?

Discussion in 'Central and South American Cichlids' started by Loves severums, May 12, 2009.

1. Loves severums

Loves severums MFK Members

Sep 3, 2014
      Do anyone know if angel fish and Festivum cichlidwould get along in a 55 or 60 gallon? :confused:

2. hairdog

hairdog MFK Members

May 20, 2015
      mitch8630 keeps them in his 75 1 angel and 1 festivum along with rams and a firemouth

3. ryansmith83

ryansmith83 MFK Members

47 minutes ago
      Both groups of wild festivums I've kept (M. acora and M. festivus) have been aggressive toward tankmates. The M. acora attacked my 6" discus when the festivums themselves were only about 2.5" in size. My M. festivus are currently living in a 150 gallon with four large Peruvian scalare angels and they have torn the angels' fins and pecked at their foreheads.

With both groups of festivums, I notice that they attack the forehead region of their tankmates where the body meets the first hard rays of the dorsal fin. They've done this consistently with angels, discus, and severums.

For now they seem to be doing okay together in the large tank because it gives the angels room to move out of the way. The festivums don't actively chase or seek out the angels to attack them, but if the angel is in close proximity the festivum will quickly dart and attack.

I originally bought the festivums because I heard they were peaceful community cichlids like keyholes, but I've actually found them more aggressive than the severums I've been keeping them with. They definitely dominate my 150 gallon tank and they're still only 3" or so.

HTH.

Ryan

4. Loves severums

Sep 3, 2014
      so maybe keyholes with the festivums.?

5. dogofwar

dogofwar MFK Members

May 20, 2015
      I've kept them together in tanks smaller than that. Individual personalities of both angels and festivum vary.

I currently have a breeding pair of festivums in a 40g breeder with some bolivian rams (a pair and some others) and other peaceful south americans.

6. Cichlaholics Anonymous

Apr 27, 2015
      I have one in a 55 with multiple angels and have seen no combat from either species

7. Loves severums

Sep 3, 2014
      ok than think i will get them then.

8. mitch890

mitch890 MFK Members

Jan 11, 2015
      I actually have a M. acora with 2 angelfish as well as the firemouth and rams and have not had any problems until recently. At one point I had 3 angelfish. One of them died about a week ago, obviously from being attacked. I think the reason for this is that it was a calico and the similar color may have triggered him sometime during the night. Most festivums will not tolerate one another unless paired. I feel he may have killed him because of a case of mistaken identity. Thats just a theory though. :grinno:

For the most part Ive had the festivum and black veil angel together for more than a year and a half with no problems. and this just seems to be an isolated incident. Just dont go with simialr colored tank mates.

9. CTU2fan

CTU2fan MFK Members

Mar 16, 2015
      I have 2, not sure if they are acora or festivus (is it hard to tell?). They're with some jurupari and bichirs and a knife; they ignore everyone but they occasionally chase each other. No damage, just the occasional short chase.