Welcome to MonsterFishKeepers.com

The members of this forum have come together to share our knowledge and experiences of fish keeping. We want to answer your questions, offer advice and fill the galleries with pictures of the fish we have all grown to love.

We are a unique community of Fish Keepers who seriously take our hobby to extremes and the NEXT level. The majority of our fish collections include RARE & EXOTIC Species of all sizes, BIG FISH with BIG APPETITES and BIG TANKS. It's not easy for most people or other "regular" fish keepers to understand why we maintain this type of collection and spare no expense on this fascinating hobby.

Hopefully, through this site and discussion forums we can encourage the next generation of Monster Fish Keepers to have the same passion and love we have for the hobby and our Monster Fish .

As one of the founding members, I personally invite you to register and join us today. Currently you are viewing this site as our guest which only gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and photo galleries.

Registration is FREE and very easy! When you register, you'll have instant access to....

• • Post and participate in discussions about your passion for fish keeping
  • • Have your own Photo Gallery and the ability to upload your images
  • • View and comment on the gallery
  • • Participate in MFK contests, promotions, and discounts
  • • Use of private messaging to communicate with other community members

• We're constantly striving to improve our community to help make your Monster Fish Keeping hobby fulfilling and interesting. Comments are welcome.

WE ARE MONSTER FISH KEEPERS!

-MFK STAFF

1. Please double check and update your email --> http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/index.php?account/contact-details

Angelfish and aquarium salt?

Discussion in 'Angel Fish & Discus' started by weegotfish, Feb 29, 2008.

1. weegotfish

weegotfish MFK Members

Oct 1, 2011
      Does anybody know whether or not angelfish can tolerate aquarium salt? I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank with about 6 tablespoons of aquarium salt. (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons) and I cannot keep angelfish alive in my tank for more than 20 days. I've successfully kept angelfish alive and healthy in the past without salt in my old aquarium, so I'm assuming the salt is the problem.

So far I have tried to keep three angelfish. All of them were from different stores and were perfectly healthy. I find it very odd that they all died the same way too. They all seemed to be perfectly happy until one day they all of the sudden become weak and die within the blink of an eye. No visible sign of disease, water levels perfectly normal, plenty of oxygen, temperature perfect, all other fish are happy.

What in the world is killing my favorite fish! Is it the salt, or could it be something else? Any help would be appreciated.

2. ziggy2

ziggy2 MFK Members

Jul 8, 2015
      Sounds more like parisites instead of salt. why are you using the salt anyway?

3. weegotfish

weegotfish MFK Members

Oct 1, 2011
      I'm using the salt primarily for disease prevention (Ich in particular).

If parasites are in fact killing my angel fish, wouldn't there be visible signs? I would certainly like to treat my tank if parasite infestation is even remotely possible. What product would be good?

4. dirtyblacksocks

dirtyblacksocks MFK Members

Mar 3, 2015
      Ditch the salt, angelfish naturally enjoy their tank temperatures at around 82 degree's or so, which is a natural prevention against ich in the first place.

There are a million in one reasons the angelfish could be dying, but keeping salt in a tank on a consistent basis with non-brackish species is never a good idea.

5. Lupin

Lupin Viviendo la vida loca!

Paul
      Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
      Jan 17, 2014
      You will be creating salt-resistant strains of ich. No reason to use salt and salt is not a miracle product that would prevent any disease there is. It's myth all over again.

6. DBL TAP

DBL TAP MFK Members

Sep 14, 2011
      I would sterilize the tank, start new and purchase Angels from a different dealer. Try to find a dealer (locally or online) that specializes in Angels.

A few years back when I had a fish store there was some unknown disease that was killing Angels and your fish's symptoms sound very familiar.

Good luck

7. Nic

Nic MFK Members

Nic
      Jun 18, 2015
      i keep some kosher salt in my angel tank at all times.... never noticed my altums to not like it or cause any stress....

8. ziggy2

ziggy2 MFK Members

Jul 8, 2015
      I only use salt when it is nessecary. Try it without.

9. jakeca77

jakeca77 MFK Members

Today at 3:02 AM
      I use salt with my Angels, but I also don't use as much as you do. I use about half of what the box suggests. 1 tablespoon per 10 gallon. Have you moved recently? I'm just asking because it could be your water. I was keeping Angels no problem just using neutral regulator in my water. When I moved to a different part of town, they all just started dying. Even though all the other fish were fine. It turned out to be the water.. I then started using equal part neutral regulator with discus buffer which I think gets my pH to about 6.8 or 6.9 and haven't had a problem since I started using the buffer.