angels with guppies and rainbow fish?

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
I am fairly new to Angels. I have a 39 gallon tall tank with 2 teenage angels and a few black neons. Tank is healthy and mature (tank much older than 2 angles). The two angels are healthy and do not fight among themselves.

Do you think adult guppies will be OK with the angels? I am specifically interested in Santa Guppies? (my local fish farm has some beauties)

What about Rainbow fish. I have never owned Rainbows. How many can I get for a 39 gallon with the 2 angels? My guess is not many.

MDM21

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 17, 2022
Hey Jack,

I have had a few Angels over the years and have never really had much problems with them. Each time I have owned, I have kept them in community tank settings and have not had any issues with aggression between other non aggressive species of tetras and things of that sort (guppies included). The Rainbow fish part would be contingent on which type as to how many the tank can hold. I believe that there are some species that grow much larger than others, but could be wrong there. For the regular Boesemani Rainbows and ones of that size, I wouldn’t suggest getting more than a few.

JackEmerson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2022
So, I ended up getting Santa guppies, a few red/blue neons, and some tuxedo mollies.

The neons were all killed within a few days. They only chased the red/blue neons, but completely ignore the black neons in the tank (which I have had for a while). All neons about the same size, regardless of color.

One of the guppies was shredded, but sill alive. He is missing most of tail and fin, but swimming and eating like a champ. The mollies are scared, but otherwise doing ok. I guess my angels are jerks. Perhaps they are fallen angels. When I was young, I always had angels in community tanks with no issues. These angels are faster than I anticipated.

• Wow
Reactions: tlindsey

MDM21

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 17, 2022
So, I ended up getting Santa guppies, a few red/blue neons, and some tuxedo mollies.

The neons were all killed within a few days. They only chased the red/blue neons, but completely ignore the black neons in the tank (which I have had for a while). All neons about the same size, regardless of color.

One of the guppies was shredded, but sill alive. He is missing most of tail and fin, but swimming and eating like a champ. The mollies are scared, but otherwise doing ok. I guess my angels are jerks. Perhaps they are fallen angels. When I was young, I always had angels in community tanks with no issues. These angels are faster than I anticipated.
I’m really sorry to hear that! I have never had problems with them myself ☹
Each have their own temperaments I suppose.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store