Another Tank Smell Question

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Its actually weird because the smell only is apparent in the morning. We typically don't run AC at night because the main floor cools down, so I am thinking it might just be air circulation being limited overnight.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Are you sure your wife isnt smelling the earthy smell and complaining about that?

Or maybe ask if shes willing to get near your tank and take a whiff to see if its the same smell shes complaining about?

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
There will always be an odor. It is just whether its a foul odor or that earthy smell. My wife is pretty much against either odor. I think its also the fact that there is 255 gallons of water in a small area with lots of evaporation. I haven't use HOB in a while and it seems like there is a lot more evaporation with them than I had with my canister. I have added carbon and that should take care of it.

wild bill

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
three hills,ab. canada
sites.google.com
What are you feeding the fish because NLS can have a garlic smell that emits from the water.

nzafi

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
USA
Revisiting this thread. I keep getting this smell from my tank and I don't know why. It goes and comes back. I thought it was being caused by the canopy I had on the tank so I got rid of the canopy. I did a large water change on Sunday and the tank smelled yesterday. I took the filters apart and cleaned them thoroughly but they were not even that dirty. The only thing that was dirty really was the purigen which I essentially tossed. Could purigen that has been in the tank for a long period of time be the cause of the smell?

There is no food anywhere, I stirred up the sand again, and I do weekly 30% water changes which is pretty good considering it is a 180g with 1 10in fish that eats only 1-2 times a week. The only other thing I can think of is that I fed my fish on Monday, but not seeing any food lying around in the tank I dont see how that could be the cause.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It's most likely the NLS Hex-Shield that you have been feeding, which is the strongest most potent food that I have ever smelled. If you are one of those people who are sensitive to garlic odors, in this case garlic mixed with meds, that would probably be the origin of the offensive smell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store