Antennarius biocellatus (toadfish/angler)

Emil Wångdahl

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
Sweden
So... i went and bought a Antennarius biocellatus for a 50 gallon tank i have set up for brakish.. i cant find anny info on these guys annywhere. do annyone know annything about them?
life expectancy?
aquarium size recomendations?
are they poisonous?
only thing i know is that its a brackish fish that dosnt get over 15cm, and i guess its a carnivore cause most in his family is.
appreciate anny help i can get, want to get him a nice new home.
It will arrive on thursday next week so want the tank all done by then

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I had one years ago was in a fully salt 1.020 salinity, don't over feed! Or it will die prematurely. 50 gallons is enough space:) live aquaria formerly known as dr. Foster and smith had them in stock awhile back maybe check them out.

Reactions: jjohnwm

Emil Wångdahl

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
Sweden
thx =) i have a 100g saltwater but i have clowns and damsels in there so i dont think i will be trying him in there =P, cant find annything on Antennarius biocellatus on live aquarias website though =(
I had one years ago was in a fully salt 1.020 salinity, don't over feed it will die prematurely. 50 gallons is enough space:) live aquaria formerly known as dr. Foster and smith had them in stock awhile back maybe check them out.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Keep searching for one you will find one:) If I come across one I will let you know:)

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Wow! I never knew there was an actual brackish angler! I've kept multiple species of frogfish and when it comes to feeding, 99% of the time you need to start off with live ghost shrimp. Then slowly start corralling the shrimp towards the angler with a feeding stick so that they associate it with feeding. Then gutload and freeze ghost shrimp and place them on the stick and once you get them eating from it you can switch them to anything you like. That's how I always did it and it's been successful 100% of the time. Just make sure you don't accidently stab the inside of their mouths cuz then they won't trust it anymore and sometimes they'll never trust it again and you're forced to feed live. I fed mine every other day when small then less and less as they grew. They don't need a very large aquarium since they're fairly inactive but I'm pretty sure you're 59g should be good for life

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Petsolutions has angler for sale but does not state what specie. Its a possibility that antennarius biocellatus is a protected species now.

Reactions: Emil Wångdahl

Emil Wångdahl

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
Sweden
they sell them at a verry large supplier store here in sweden so dont think they are protected, they are usually pretty hard on those rules over here

Reactions: tlindsey

Emil Wångdahl

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
May 20, 2015
Sweden
Wow! I never knew there was an actual brackish angler! I've kept multiple species of frogfish and when it comes to feeding, 99% of the time you need to start off with live ghost shrimp. Then slowly start corralling the shrimp towards the angler with a feeding stick so that they associate it with feeding. Then gutload and freeze ghost shrimp and place them on the stick and once you get them eating from it you can switch them to anything you like. That's how I always did it and it's been successful 100% of the time. Just make sure you don't accidently stab the inside of their mouths cuz then they won't trust it anymore and sometimes they'll never trust it again and you're forced to feed live. I fed mine every other day when small then less and less as they grew. They don't need a very large aquarium since they're fairly inactive but I'm pretty sure you're 59g should be good for life
thx for the tip, i will test with ghost shrimp then.
are they dirty fishes? i have a 20 gallon sump that i plan to fill with ceramic rings and some ffilter floss before that, will have 1000l per hour flowing through.
Feels like overkill but you newer know =9 never had brackis before

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
They aren't very dirty from my experience. Their poo is large so it's easy to just scoop out with a net if you see it. Who cares about overkill? Haha the more filtration the better

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store