Any Advice Would Be Appreciated

chazwood918

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
CT
Ok, so I'm a very experienced freshwater fish-keeper, but the one thing I have simply never mastered, is a truly flourishing planted aquarium. Currently, I'm running a 90g tank running duel filtration systems that more than adequately cycle the water, do weekly 25-30% water changes, have a sand substrate, and run 2 Aqueon Floramax T8 17W bulbs. I do NOT have a CO2 system.

As tank-mates I have the following...
1x Blue Phantom Pleco
1x Green Phantom Pleco
1x "Common" Pleco
1x Electric Red Lobster
2x Fiddler Crabs
8x Cichlids (African and Central American) - if someone wants the specifics, just ask

The Plants...
Bamboo
Dwarf Saggitaria
Amazon Sword
Dwarf Hair Grass

Now please keep in mind that I have always paid extremely close attention to every aspect of the tank. I monitor fish behaviors, plant growth, and water parameters multiple times a day. Everything in this tank was introduced a little over 6 months ago and live happily together. I have even successfully deterred the lobster from messing with the plants at all!

But the one thing I CANNOT seem to get in this tank, is growth. The plants are relatively healthy but it's hard to say that when I have yet to see any new growth. (The plants were introduced approximately 2-3 months ago). What am I doing wrong!? I've read that DHG is both extremely easy to see rampant growth in and extremely difficult. Mind you, that I have separated the DHG into 4 different groupings approximately 5inches apart from each other with the hope that they would inevitably begin to create a carpet. The Bamboo is obviously nothing more than aesthetic, but I haven't even seen new shoots of Amazon Sword. I trim them, I provide liquid CO's and Plant Food with my weekly water changes as well. And before anyone comments on the intense bioload dropped by having 3 large plecos, I assure you that I make absolutely certain to keep it in check, nor do I have any issues with algae despite leaving the lights on for 16-20 hours a day PLUS the tank gets natural sunlight throughout the afternoon. I was always under the impression that a CO2 system is largely to ensure that plant growth isn't inhibited by algae growth, but it's the only thing I can think to do at this point. Somebody who knows more than me please help!

The goal is DHG carpet throughout at least a portion of the tank, but in addition, if anyone has suggestions for some larger plants that work with this setup, I'm all ears as well!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Are you dosing fertilizers? Are you using root tabs? What's your lighting schedule?

There's so many variables involved with planted tanks... One of the most important things is adequate lighting, 17w bulbs tells me that you are using the stock 20" fixtures with 18" bulbs. I would ditch them and go with a 48" T8 diamond plated fixture like this...

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia...escent-Ceiling-Shop-Light-1241DP-RE/202192989

I'm using a 48" T8 light fixture (not the diamond plate) on my 45 gallon long planted tank, but I'm also following classic EI dosing regime, using DIY osmocote root tabs, DIY co2 system using bakers yeast/sugar, and I have Flourite planted substrate; My lighting schedule is 8am - 5pm...

I would suggest doing the following things to help the plants grow...

1 - 48" T8 dual bulb 2x32w using 6500k bulbs
2 - Putting root tabs into the substrate
3 - Pick up some Flourish Comprehensive fertilizer solution

Since your tank seems to have a good number of fish in it there's your co2 right there, when the fish are "breathing" their "exhaling" co2 into the water column. But you can always set up a Do It Yourself co2 system using 2 liter bottles, bakers yeast, and sugar... just Google DIY Co2...

This will set you up with the basics at minimal cost, and will help the plants to inhibit new growth.

Flourish comprehensive should be dosed with the recommended levels 2-3 times a week, and has all of the nutrients aquarium plants need.

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Having tried sand some decades ago, I eventually stopped using it for a planted tank. I have generally had better results using a gravel ranging from bb size to around the size of a small pea.
The amazon is a root feeder and likely needs solid ferts directly at the roots. Plant tabs or florush root tabs have worked for me.
Good luck

Reactions: convict360

chazwood918

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
CT
Thanks for the advice guys!

SKJ - I have had plants before that grew well in the sand, and since I prefer the look to gravel I stuck with it. Furthermore, this sand has been in the tank for over 2 years so I've been told that it naturally becomes a better substrate for plants as it absorbs the nutrients and beneficial bacteria over time? But I have very seriously considered trying to bury say an Agra substrate underneath the sand if you experts tell me it's the best thing to do.

Unrated - I use a duel bulbed hood and have 3 of them going across (6 bulbs). They each have a standard (much brighter) "full spectrum" bulb along with an Aqueon Floramax which provides the wattage I listed above. I do not use root tabs, I have read a ton saying that they are a literal waste of money but again: reading is all I can go by, if you tell me different I can go that route.

Your explanation of how the CO2 works certainly makes perfect sense but I had never thought of it that logically. I do use a CO2 Booster and Leafzone (Both API products) weekly.

Lighting schedule is anywhere from 7-9AM on throught 1am (usually 18 hours per day) or so with a pretty good amount of sunlight (the tank is approximately 5-6 feet from a sliding glass door) during the afternoon.

chazwood918

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
CT
But overall these are very helpful and easily doable solutions so unless I have changed your advise with what I've said above, I will go with new lighting, root tabs, and that specific fertilizer solution

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Root tabs are a great essential when using only sand as your substrate... Also plants have 2 chlorophyll stages to them, chlorophyll A & chlorophyll B and each stage peaks at different wavelengths.

So you want to try and target the peaks of the chlorophyll stages, and by doing so the plants will have better growth. When ever plants are getting lighting they're feeding, and need nutrients which root tabs supply to root feeding plants like swords, crypts, etc... and flourish comprehensive will supply the water column with extra nutrients!

chazwood918

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
CT
And THAT /\ is why I asked MFK forums haha. That makes things a bit more complicated but I'm up for the challenge. Thank you Unrated

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Over time I have found that having a deep substrate bed to be a benefit. I try to have at least 4 inches or more. my plants tend to do well with such depth.

Fine sand can develope some issues when more than an inch or so deep. A build of of anerobic toxins have been reported. A common suggested solution is to stir the sand from time to time. This may not be practical in a planted tank.

One way i have used sand with success is to build a sieve with some screenig material. I dry sift the sand (construction sand that is cheap). I can discard the fine stuff and have the larger grains for a tank. Construction sand can have a wide range of particles.

chazwood918

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2012
CT
Interesting idea SKJ, thank you! I do actually use skewer sticks to stir up the areas where roots have formed, and I'm probably right around 4 - 5 inches of substrate so on that end I'm in pretty good shape. BUTTTT you may be right. The toxins may not be adequately cleaned.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store