Any Dart frog Vivariums?

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
gangster gangster how are you planning to do your fake bottom?

Depending on how yours goes I might have to set on up.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
gangster gangster how are you planning to do your fake bottom?

Depending on how yours goes I might have to set on up.
Im gonna make it a living soil. A layer of perlite type media on the bottom for drainage. Then a coco mixture on top of that with a little orchid bark and leaves. Im also putting a bunch of isopods and springtails in there to help break down decaying matter as well as provide some food for the frogs that will eventually be in the tank.

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
I used to keep a bunch of different darts. It's actually very easy as long as you don't mind culturing wingless fruit flies.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
It was my wifes idea and I took it and ran with it. So im gonna try and let her do most of the design.
Sounds like its gonna be tough for you to sit sideline on this one.
This is like me try to not completely take over my son's pine wood derby car projects LOL

fishfreak2009

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2009
Michigan
HOw big of a pain in the butt is that? I havent started that yet.
When it's one or two cultures it isn't that bad. I had 20 cultures every 2 weeks and that just got too overwhelming with everything else I was taking care of, and the parents didn't want fly poop filled mason jars running through the dishwasher

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
they only stay "wingless" for 3-4 generations so you'll see how much of a pain it is when you start having fruit flies flying all over your house.
So after 3-4 generations I need to start over with some first gen fruit flies then. Good thing they arent too expensive.

And can dart frogs eat pinhead crickets as well?

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Last night I siliconed the cork background onto the tank. GOnna give it atleast 24hrs till I start adding the media. But I got plants with my order and I still have them in the damp paper towels they arrived in. So their gonna have to hang one more day. Im thinkn maybe I'll get my wife to help play with it tommorow night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store