Any Earless Monitor Keepers out there?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
These lizards are vitually blind and very slow moving. Goldfish and minnows nutritionally are not adequate because of the thiamase issue. They are also too fast for them to catch. Bettas and other labyrinth fish are indigenous to where these guys are found. There are no care sheets for these and people who do keep them are very secretive about them. It's always a learning process with this species every day. Just doing my part to gain a foothold on the understanding of these reptiles...
So bettas might actually be part of their natural diet,have you considered or tried earthworms?

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
These lizards are vitually blind and very slow moving. Goldfish and minnows nutritionally are not adequate because of the thiamase issue. They are also too fast for them to catch. Bettas and other labyrinth fish are indigenous to where these guys are found. There are no care sheets for these and people who do keep them are very secretive about them. It's always a learning process with this species every day. Just doing my part to gain a foothold on the understanding of these reptiles...
Like I said, I didn't know that. You originally posted this under "General Aquaria." A lot of the people who mainly look around in that section wouldn't know about lizards.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Like I said, I didn't know that. You originally posted this under "General Aquaria." A lot of the people who mainly look around in that section wouldn't know about lizards.
That could be the case now but a few years ago when the entire site/forum enjoyed much more activity than it does currently a lot of the more tenured members used to keep various reptiles as well as fish.

littleg902

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Indianapolis
That could be the case now but a few years ago when the entire site/forum enjoyed much more activity than it does currently a lot of the more tenured members used to keep various reptiles as well as fish.
I haven't been on this site in a few years and switched my focus to aquatic reptile breeding. Thought I would try to be active on here again. I miss the old days of this site... The seasoned people are into reptiles as the popularity of them has exploded in the Asian market.

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
I haven't been on this site in a few years and switched my focus to aquatic reptile breeding. Thought I would try to be active on here again. I miss the old days of this site... The seasoned people are into reptiles as the popularity of them has exploded in the Asian market.
I didn't mean to ruin your experience on this site (if that's what you felt). Like krichardson said, this site is more focused on fish now.

Reactions: littleg902

littleg902

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Indianapolis
I didn't mean to ruin your experience on this site (if that's what you felt). Like krichardson said, this site is more focused on fish now.
Well somebody's eventually going to represent the reptiles... Most people that are into reptile breeding and trade are also interested in fish lol. I started with fish and eventually moved to breeding reptiles. The 2 groups usually lean toward the same interests. It's all about the advancement of the knowledge is keepers have for the entire ecosystem.

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Well somebody's eventually going to represent the reptiles... Most people that are into reptile breeding and trade are also interested in fish lol. I started with fish and eventually moved to breeding reptiles. The 2 groups usually lean toward the same interests. It's all about the advancement of the knowledge is keepers have for the entire ecosystem.
lol I went from fish to reptiles back to fish, back to reptiles and now back to fish again.

Sorry I can't help much w/ this species, I know Monitors, but not this one. Oddball Oddball might have some input

I bought an expensive book on Monitors years ago, i'll look for it, i'm sure this is covered somewhat in it

littleg902

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
Indianapolis
lol I went from fish to reptiles back to fish, back to reptiles and now back to fish again.

Sorry I can't help much w/ this species, I know Monitors, but not this one. Oddball Oddball might have some input

I bought an expensive book on Monitors years ago, i'll look for it, i'm sure this is covered somewhat in it
They're name has monitor in it but they're actually relatives of heloderma. Lanthanotus is most likely a link between lizards and snakes.... Hence the internal tympanum and forked tongue. I know there are a few captives in Japan and Singapore and I know there are importers and dealers there that used to frequent this sight. They're kinda like the Fly River turtle of lizards... All the rage and heavily trafficked unfortunately. I'm sure someone will chime in

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
They're name has monitor in it but they're actually relatives of heloderma. Lanthanotus is most likely a link between lizards and snakes.... Hence the internal tympanum and forked tongue. I know there are a few captives in Japan and Singapore and I know there are importers and dealers there that used to frequent this sight. They're kinda like the Fly River turtle of lizards... All the rage and heavily trafficked unfortunately. I'm sure someone will chime in
yea, I remember reading that in the book....Lanthanotidae, Helodermatidae, Varanidae are all derived from the same common ancestor apparently, I remember a diagram of the family tree with Lanthanotus at the base - and all share characteristics that snakes have, like forked tongue and Jacobson's organs. These 3 are classed differently than any other lizards on the planet

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store