Any Freshwater crabs from Amazon?

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Hey, does anyone know if some site sells freshwater crabs from the Amazon river basin? I've watched some documentaries lately and saw that there are freshwater crabs in the rivers down there. And I've wondered if they sold any for the aquarium trade? I've got an Amazon bio type fish tank, so the crab would have to be able to go with these fish listed below.
Stock List
• 1 rainbow wolf fish
• 2Thin Black Bar Silver Dollar fish (7-8")
• 5 Red-Tailed chalceus
• 1 Black Ghost Knife fish
• 1 Chocolate cichlid
• 1 Two-Spotted pike cichlid
• 2 ( Heros Notatus ) Severum cichlids
• 5 ( Satanoperca daemon ) Three-Spotted Earth eater cichlids
•3 Striped Rapheal catfish
• 1 Jaguar catfish
• 1 Columbian spotted pleco
• 2 snowball plecos
• 1 Amazon Puffer fish

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Did you happen to find out what kind of crabs they were? Many tropical crabs are fairly terrestrial. At least that has been my observation, given the opportunity they will spend most of their time out of water. However to answer your question. If they are provided with ample of cover and are not small enough they will probably be fine. Without cover, fish harass crabs and crays.

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Did you happen to find out what kind of crabs they were? Many tropical crabs are fairly terrestrial. At least that has been my observation, given the opportunity they will spend most of their time out of water. However to answer your question. If they are provided with ample of cover and are not small enough they will probably be fine. Without cover, fish harass crabs and crays.
The ones I saw in the documentary were redish and looked like Sally light foot crabs... But I know they were fresh water because the documentary was only in the Amazon region. And I didn't know any names, the narrator never talked about them, it was just a small scene that showed them in the background. They did talk about a fresh water sponge though which was really cool. Never said what kind of sponge it was.

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
There are several species of freshwater crabs, but I don't know of any that are fully aquatic. I caught this guy while fishing at my local pond in San Jose, however these mountain crabs seem to come out of the water fairly readily. That said, I've never tried to keep one solely in water, it might work.

Crab2.JPG

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
About fresh water sponges, there are actually quite a few of those. I believe the most interesting reside in Lake Baikal. However, it would surprise me if your region of America doesn't have a few. Unfortunately most are fairly drab looking clumps of green or brown, nothing like the tropical sponges most people are familiar with. i will see what I can dig up.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
The Amazon basin water is generally soft and acidic, and is not known to support diversity of shell fish because there is lack of calcium and magnesium to build shell. Lake Baikal and African Rift lakes are the opposite that support high density and diversity of shell fish.

Veneer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
There's a wonderful diversity of Neotropical freshwater crustacean life that is hardly if ever seen in the aquarium trade.

Collection records of two families of freshwater crabs (from this interesting survey article):

Brazil has 6 pseudothelphusid and 10 trichodactylid genera, with 19 and 31 described species respectively and certainly more yet to be described.

In the US, now and then you might see one or two species of Amazonian Dilocarcinus (a trichodactylid) come in ... good luck getting ahold of any of the rest.

This Brazilian webpage has photos and profiles of some of these many species (the Aegla however are not true crabs at all but anomurans, distant relatives of hermit "crabs").

Reactions: Captain tank

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
That's
There's a wonderful diversity of Neotropical freshwater crustacean life that is hardly if ever seen in the aquarium trade.

Collection records of two families of freshwater crabs (from this interesting survey article):

Brazil has 6 pseudothelphusid and 10 trichodactylid genera, with 19 and 31 described species respectively and certainly more yet to be described.

In the US, now and then you might see one or two species of Amazonian Dilocarcinus (a trichodactylid) come in ... good luck getting ahold of any of the rest.

This Brazilian webpage has photos and profiles of some of these many species (the Aegla however are not true crabs at all but anomurans, distant relatives of hermit "crabs").
cool, thanks Veneer... I'll have to read up on it. That sounds cool, never heard of Aegla before.

Captain tank

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2015
Do
That's
cool, thanks Veneer... I'll have to read up on it. That sounds cool, never heard of Aegla before.
Do you know of any online sites that legally sell some of these crabs for the aquatic hobby? Cause I'd really like to house one in my tank... Maybe even breed them if I'm really lucky with them.

Veneer

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
Do
Do you know of any online sites that legally sell some of these crabs for the aquatic hobby? Cause I'd really like to house one in my tank... Maybe even breed them if I'm really lucky with them.
I don't know, would like some myself. They may be showing up on exporter lists but not getting brought in due to insufficient interest. Best bet's probably talking to someone open to oddball requests like Wes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store