Any plants that can go with oscar?

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
Hey guys I was wondering if there are any plants besides water lily and amazon swords that can be in a tank with an oscar and no get ripped up. I want a plant that can grow super fast and take over the tank any suggestions.

p.s. don't say use plastic plants.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
Ceratophyllum demersum "Foxtail' plant, if you provide a right condition this plant will grow at least 6 inches a day and will fill up your tank in matter of days, other plants grow out fast on driftwood is Java Moss, Java Fern is low growing plant that look nice on driftwood and most fishes will leave it a lone...even snail won't touch it too!

Reactions: Oxymus

catfishguy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2014
moon
I'll get some foxtail, its all over where i live. I have some java moss and fern and they are doing ok.

MrBlueDream

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2015
3rd rock
When I had large cichlids, only anubias survived the constant biting and uprooting. Eventually I wedged them into driftwood and no one touched it.

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
You're pretty much at a loss for plants when you have oscars, and most new world large cichlids... Because most South/Central American cichlids are habitual pit diggers by nature, even my 5" Male Unfaded Red Texas cichlid has dug 3 separate pits in his tank and he's the only one in there lol. Also most SA/CA cichlids are plant shredders, so not only will the uproot any plants, they'll also shred them to pieces....

Itsadeepbluesea

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2008
I would say no, my Oscar us to be the day lights out of any decorations in his tank. I didn't have any real plants, but I imagine they wouldn't have lasted too long.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Anything that is strongly rooting (swords and crypts but I'd be sure to have them grown big in the tank before adding the oscar) and anything that roots into the driftwood (anubias...ferns...buce if you're feeling dangerous...seriously I dare someone to do an animus white and buce and moss tank with some of the most expensive plants in this hobby in a tank inhabited by a single oscar...that'd be a baller move if I ever saw one).
I'd say let the plants establish first before putting the oscar in with them and perhaps start off with a baby oscar...I find cichlids seem to ignore plants more when they've grown around them but that's more an idea in my head than anything overly verifiable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store