Any shark fishermen here?

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I'm going with the 9/0 definitely now. The 14/0, like you said, is for the real big UN's h which rarely happens where I live. Im in southern NC - if I were in Florida, that's a different story. But NC doesn't have many large hammers, we have scalloped hammers. Biggest thing you'll see here is the occasional bull and maybe once or twice a year, tigers will come through. I don't even think that my tiagra is a 30 wide, I'm pretty sure it's smaller. I would check, but I'm out of town ATM. The rig is used by BlacktipH (shark fishijg guys in florida, seocnd most popular fishing channel on YT) for sharks up to 8 foot, so I should be fine there. Hook, I'll probably keep the 12/0 circles - eliminate those smaller fish from getting the bait, but still be able to get anything 4' plus. With everything that I'll need to buy, it will add up to $750. That's for a rod, reel, line, all the terminal tackle to make 10 rigs (plus plenty leftover stuff - swivels are the expensive part), crimpers, wire cutters, pliers, gloves, bolt cutters, a hammer, some conduit (for rod holder), some tail rope, and a fighting belt/harness.

Those prices are from Amazon, if I looked on eBay I probably find stuff a little cheaper.
Go to your local tackle shop they'll be able to point you in the right direction or at least someone who is a die hard shark fisherman in your area. I mean I've caught bonnenthead sharks in Charleston SC on light spinning tackle 12 lb mono steel leader 8/0 hook from the beach no problem. I know the serious guys down there use either Penn or Shimano 30-50W and I know the one week I was down they managed a 200lb+ sand tiger from the beach on these set ups.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Go to your local tackle shop they'll be able to point you in the right direction or at least someone who is a die hard shark fisherman in your area. I mean I've caught bonnenthead sharks in Charleston SC on light spinning tackle 12 lb mono steel leader 8/0 hook from the beach no problem. I know the serious guys down there use either Penn or Shimano 30-50W and I know the one week I was down they managed a 200lb+ sand tiger from the beach on these set ups.
Yeah, it's definitely possible. But just because it happens once or twice, doesn't mean it will work all the time. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I've got an upcoming trip to a place called Bald Head Island, a small (~6 square miles), pretty remote island located about 5 miles off the coast of Southport, NC. Some family and I are renting a house there, so we will stay for three days or so - this means LOTS of fishing! I'll be bringing my kayak (a 10' SOT) with me, so I will have access to the ocean, the mouth of the Cape Fear River, and the salt marsh areas of the island - lots of opportunities here. I checked, the "big game" setup I've got now is:
-Medium heavy, 6.5' Ugly Stik jigging rod
-Shimano Triton 200G conventional reel (spooled with Powerpro (unsure of weight) and about 12 yards of 50 pound mono topshot)
Fishing from the kayak, this will hopefully work to catch larger fish, mostly in the river mouth and ocean (ie black drum, bluefish, cobia, redfish, stripers, sharpnose sharks, blacktips, bonnetheads, smoothhounds, rays, and the occasional kingfish, tarpon, or bull shark). The terminal rig I have set up now is 5 feet of 200 pound mono tied with an albright knot (to the 50 pound mono), then double crimped onto a 400 pound swivel, and then there is 6" of 225 pound wire haywire-twisted on, and then a 7/0 live bait hook seals the deal - there's a 2 ounce egg sinker above the swivel as well. If the water is calm enough, I'll ditch the sinker and go with a balloon float. If tarpon happen to roll through, I'll add a longer section of #200 mono and ditch the wire (I doubt this will happen though).

I've also got two spinning setups I will be bringing along - one medium light, 7 foot setup with 15 pound PowerPro and a Shimano Sienna spinning reel as the main rod for baitfish and fishing in the salt marshes, and one Ugly Stik combo for backup. For bait, we've got lots of stuff here in NC - butterfish, croaker, shad, pigfish, pinfish, pompano, whiting, spot, and baby rays just to name a few. These can also make for a nice meal, if I happen to get enough of them (I would rather spend time fishing for larger fish than bait though ;)). I have a few sabiki rigs lying around that I can use for that, and I can also throw on some smaller baitholder hooks (like 1/0 and some smaller ones as well) with a split shot if I feel like it. I have a few artificials (a few Voodoo baits, Gulp shrimp with jigheads, and popping cork) that I can use for fish in the salt marsh but I'm going to try and stick with live bait. The marshes hold smaller black drum, flounder, trout, smaller red drum, and sheepshead that I can target with this setup (can also go for spanish mackerel if I so choose out in the ocean). For a rig, I'll probably just go with the tried and true carolina rig with a live bait on it (I plan to burn through those Gulp shrimp though).

Does my tackle sound good? Anyone ever fished Bald Head Island before?

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
back, some 30 or 40 years ago, I only used a penn jigmaster 500, cast great off a pier, brought in sharks, large rays what ever. this was in south cal. loved the real paired with a lima glass pole, blue dot line. but again this was over 30 years ago.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
Penn penn penn penn and penn only
Since Penn left Philly to make their reels overseas they really dropped in quality. The only reel made overseas thats worth anything is the Battle can't beat the price or reliability. The Internationals are still made in the US and will stand the test of time. Shimano is the way to go nowadays can't go wrong with them

Reactions: Frank Castle

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Since Penn left Philly to make their reels overseas they really dropped in quality. The only reel made overseas thats worth anything is the Battle can't beat the price or reliability. The Internationals are still made in the US and will stand the test of time. Shimano is the way to go nowadays can't go wrong with them
I believe we were talking international here. Shimano also makes nice reels. Have owned a few in the past.

I wouldn't say penn has dropped in quality. I own multiple fierce and sargus line reels and love them all

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Shimano for life. Also old skool Abu Garcia and Daiwa

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store