Anyone ever kept one of the two Zungaro giants?

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Hello,

since it is one of the heaviest catfish of all (reaching actually measured 400lbs, which is only exeeded by silurus glanis and the giant mekong catfish) i doubt anyone really tried to keep this monster, but if so, i would just be courious about the experience.

Or do they even get exportet at all?

Sadly it is not only ridicilous massive, it's also quite nasty to other tankmates, unlike other big south american catfish like the RTC oder big Brachyplatystoma, which seem to be relativly peacefull, as long as there is enough space and no one small enough to swallow.

Greetings

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Whups this sould have been postet in the catfish devision. Maybe some moderator/administrator can move it there plz?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
people have kept them just search it up in the search bar you'll find everything with them mentioned

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Yeah there are several threats, but most of them are pretty old and most postings came from people who never kept one themselves.

The few people who did don't seem to mention much detailes or it looks like they did not keep the catfish long enough. Some mention it to be aggressive, but not much, all seem to agree on the fact that zungaro is a good eater. But very few pics, and none showing a specimen of substantial size.

Of course there are not too many people capable of housing a catfish over 1meter, but compared to filamentosum and bagarius, the zungaro seems even rarer.

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Try planetcatfish there's a guy that posted a lot about his. But yes they do seem to be rarer.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I got one for jeff rapps (Tangeld Up In Cichlids) at 2" for $50, but the whole shipment was barely breathing when it came in so it died on the 3rd day i had it. For the short time i had it, it was an awesome fish.
I had a 300 gallon ready for it when it grew to 10" but it never got to go in that tank.

Marcus_H

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2009
Germany
Really? Somehow seems like this one peticular monster is all but forgotten :(

Well on the other hand, i might be the heaviest carnivorous pure freshwater fish of all (which it is right now on fishing records, since huso huso is partly salt water an p.gigas is not a true carnivore), so there might just be almost no tanks whatsoever capable of housing one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store