Anyone keep sunfish and cichlids together?

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
With enough space, yes, but without adequate space, whoever's more dominant is the one who lives. There is no beating into submission or making one hide, if one can overpower and kill the other, it will as soon as it can. That's been my experience at least

Wouldn't Carpintis species be found in the wild with some Lepomis?
I believe you're thinking of cyanoguttatus, which does in fact overlap with over half of the lepomis genus (macrochirus, megalotis, aquilensis, cyanellus, gulosus, microlophus, miniatus)
allegedly cyanellus and megalotis types go a bit further south into mexico, so there may be even more overlap with even more species.

SalviniCichlidFan

Dovii
MFK Member
May 30, 2021
www.andrew-li.org
One of the most interesting phenomenon that I notice regarding sunfish is that in nature they're relatively peaceful, schooling fish. However, once you put them in an aquarium, they suddenly become super aggressive and territorial.

arielucidates

Exodon
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2024
I have kept sunfish and many cichlids together. The key is having the right species/combination. I'm personally a big fan of Rock Bass. They have tons of personality and are more peaceful than most Sunfish. Get along well with most things they can't swallow. Pumpkinseeds and Bluegill can be hit or miss temperament wise, but generally they dislike each other more than they dislike cichlids. I have kept both successfully with a variety of SA, CA, and African river species in 90g+. And having a very big tank makes all the difference. Green Sunfish have a ton of personality but are very aggressive. Better as singles or with something like a large catfish or pleco.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have kept sunfish and many cichlids together. The key is having the right species/combination. I'm personally a big fan of Rock Bass. They have tons of personality and are more peaceful than most Sunfish. Get along well with most things they can't swallow. Pumpkinseeds and Bluegill can be hit or miss temperament wise, but generally they dislike each other more than they dislike cichlids. I have kept both successfully with a variety of SA, CA, and African river species in 90g+. And having a very big tank makes all the difference. Green Sunfish have a ton of personality but are very aggressive. Better as singles or with something like a large catfish or pleco.
Welcome aboard

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store