Anything Caquetaia!

Cloves4Oscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2013
Saskatchewan
I have a Caquetaia Kraussi and it's a really cool fish. I was in Spencer Jacks in Winnipeg trying to convince my gf to let me get a Dovii or a Haitian but she adamantly refused. One of the guys that runs the place ( I don't know if it was Spencer or Jack?) took us over to a tank that had some little pale Salvini shaped cichlids in it and said I think you guys should get one of these ones, I just got them on a trip down to South America. They are really neat fish, I guarantee you'll like them so we got one along with 4 Cubans, a Texas (Escondito) and 6 Polystigmas...we had no idea what it was but it ate ravenously and grew faster than an Oscar. When it was about 4" and really started to show it's colors we spent weeks searching internet SA images on google and finally found it! Caquetaia Kraussi.
Now he's about a foot long and still eats non-stop...any food item you throw in the tank he promptly races up and inhales it...literally. He loves feeder fish and will eat until every last food item, dead or alive, is gone. He is very agile and quick for a big cichlid and very hyperactive.
He plays a real toughguy act as far as aggression goes but will back down instantly if the female Jag or the big Dempsey go back at him. He constantly takes little "love nips" at the female Jag and she tolerates it until she's had enough and then takes a bite or two back at him and he smartens up for an
bout 5mins...then starts pestering her again. They have actually formed an unlikely pair and have even tried to breed once just recently (I am aware they cannot successfully reproduce according to general consensus) and went through all the rituals, spent a week picking an appropriate rock (the Jag picked it and it took that long to convince him) and had all the other fish in the tank pushed back to a third of the 220...she laid eggs...and he ate them as quick as she could lay them. She was agitated and he just hovered around the rock wanting to eat more eggs.
I'd say he played her for the caviar but as I speak they are swimming around together doing their thing, him nipping her until she gets pissed and takes a chomp at him and silently intimidating all the other fish in the tank except the big Dempsey, who will back down from no one, fins or feet...it is his tank.
Anyways back on topic, I like our Kraussi quite a bit. He's neat. Fun to watch and not really a troublemaker. It's too bad he and our lady-jag can't breed, I think they'd make some interesting babies... We'd love to get an Umbee but don't have the aquarium or space for one that it would take to house the beast. Someday...someday...

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Rio magdelena Umbee pair. They already had fry.
measured : male is 4.5"; female is 5.5".

IMG_8600.JPG

IMG_8586.JPG

tanyaelec11

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2012
canada
kraussi are really amazing fish . I currently have a few . The 10 inch male seems to have taken a liking to my 1 year old daughter . She will put her hands on the glass and he will softly nip the glass !! True form of entertainment .

GMFISHNUT

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2008
Long Island, NY
image.jpgimage.jpg
A couple of pics of a pair of the Panama Green variety. One of the toughest pairs I've kept through the years.
They spawned for me a few times. Very rough on one another! I had to wait till the last second when I knew the female was about to lay her eggs and pull the divider. Female would take a bad beating but the pair would settle down and spawn. I would immediately divide the pair when they were done and pull the eggs to hatch them in a separate tank. I was amazed at the amount of eggs the female produced!
The male was around 14"-15" and the female around 10"-11". Still regret the day I gave them away.
From my experience this was a very different fish than the Blue Magdalena I kept. I was bitten a few times while cleaning out their tank, hurt like a @&$%#!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Rio magdelena Umbee pair. They already had fry.
measured : male is 4.5"; female is 5.5".
this is the largest maLe from their 3rd batch. 2" in the pics. And a light umbee drawing I just started.

DSC_9373.jpg

DSC_9718.jpg

DSC_9624.jpg

DSC_9774.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store