Apistogramma cacatuoides babies!!

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
So my brother in law discovered he has babies for the first time!! So far he has separated one mom and her babies to a 10 gallon to avoid the tetras eating the babies. They discovered a second mom and baby group and are going to leave them in the tank. I suspect their third female might show up with babies overnight.

I reckon they are about 5-7 days old because they are free swimming at this point. I warned him last time I was over that they were about the size when they can start having babies, hah!

Does anyone have any tips about rearing babies of this species??

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Congrats. Apistos are a really cool fish in a small package. I currently have couple groups of McMasteri

Last edited:

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Is it better to take the mom and babies out and away from hungry tetras or leave them in the tank?

My brother in law took one female out with babies and plunked them in a 10 gallon. He left the other in the big tank with the male and other fish. Both broods are reportedly eating and doing well.

Hoplo

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
New Zealand
Very cool, any pictures of them yet?
Good luck with growing them out.

Congrats. Opposites are a really cool fish in a small package. I currently have couple groups of McMasteri
I see that you are struck with the same Opposites/apistos auto correct that I always suffer from. :p

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I laid the smack down on my phone for that autocorrect to stop it lol. Not really any pics, they aren't my fish they are brother in laws. Just ****ty cell phone pics where you can't see the tiny fry (they are free swimming for just about 2 days or so...so yah.)

I estimate when they are about a month old they will be sellable to a friend of mine, maybe a bit later, but should be independent in 3 weeks or so. Is that accurate?

Last edited:

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
I see that you are struck with the same Opposites/apistos auto correct that I always suffer from. :p
Yep, and I don't always go back and proof what was posted.

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Update: babies are growing well. Apparently the mom + babies removed from the big tank are growing faster but the mom + babies in the main tank with all the tetras are way more brave.

Can't wait til they are big enough to show pics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store