Aquaponics Alligator Gar Housing

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
That's very true. So will this setup recycle water almost 100%?
In theory, it will recycle 95% of water. The only water that is lost will be lost through evaporation via the plants. The sump tanks will be underground, and the fish tanks will be buried four feet underground, with only a foot of the tank above ground level. This will stabilize temperatures and hopefully minimize evaporation even more. Where this set up will be built, it rains a lot, and temperatures are pretty stable throughout the year. So rain collection will replace a good 90% of water loss. The rest will be replaced via well water.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
Here in Toronto someone did a small setup in the basement and they were able to produce leafies and veges for household easily. Carp and Tilapia for meat. It was a nicely done setup. But to setup an acre here in Canada. Need some serious thinking

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
Here in Toronto someone did a small setup in the basement and they were able to produce leafies and veges for household easily. Carp and Tilapia for meat. It was a nicely done setup. But to setup an acre here in Canada. Need some serious thinking
I'd assume so. Especially with the harsh winters. I am setting up in USA, southern Oregon, near the coast. So luckily for me I don't have to deal with half the issues a Canadian set up would have to suffer through.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
I have a few thoughts. Where are you located? Green house should help with temp but gator gars do better in warmer water, and if your going 4 feet deep your going to have to fight 50F ground temps so heating will be a pain. I imagine it would be difficult to keep temps up in winter, but I know almost nothing about green houses.

I feel as if though 5' width won't be enough for a gator gar long term, as they can get quite a bit larger than 5'. I'm not sure how long you plan on keeping them or if you plan on harvesting them as well. Realistically if it's only 2900 gallons I wouldn't put a single gar in long term.

If your going planted only you could probably save a bundle on ceramic and other media.

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
I have a few thoughts. Where are you located? Green house should help with temp but gator gars do better in warmer water, and if your going 4 feet deep your going to have to fight 50F ground temps so heating will be a pain. I imagine it would be difficult to keep temps up in winter, but I know almost nothing about green houses.

I feel as if though 5' width won't be enough for a gator gar long term, as they can get quite a bit larger than 5'. I'm not sure how long you plan on keeping them or if you plan on harvesting them as well. Realistically if it's only 2300 gallons I wouldn't put a single gar in long term.

If your going planted only you could probably save a bundle on ceramic and other media.
It's a 2800 gallon tank, not 2300, and as I stated above the gator gars water temp will be maintained through a sump tank.This tank will be maintaining heat and will be running year around like a normal house-hold aquarium. Winters rarely drop below 40 degrees where I'm setting up. And I will be harvesting the gars.
In addition, my greenhouse will be heated via a wood-stove and water boiler when temperatures drop below 60 degrees or so.

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
It's a 2800 gallon tank, not 2300, and as I stated above the gator gars water temp will be maintained through a sump tank that has equipment in it for heating that will be running year around like a normal house-hold aquarium. Winters rarely drop below 40 degrees where I'm setting up. And I will be harvesting the gars.
Yeah I edited it, I ended up on a cylinder calc accidentally. I think heating that will be a massive pain but certainly not impossible. I'm not an expert on gators, they were always too big of an option for me to consider, so I will quietly bow out and wish you luck.

TiroFishMonger

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2015
Yeah I edited it, I ended up on a cylinder calc accidentally. I think heating that will be a massive pain but certainly not impossible. I'm not an expert on gators, they were always too big of an option for me to consider, so I will quietly bow out and wish you luck.
Thank you for your commentary! I will do more research into energy efficient heating methods for tanks now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store